Another very moist airmass will move into western and central NY on Sunday with a potential for training heavy thunderstorms from the western Southern Tier across the Genesee Valley and western Finger Lakes to the eastern Lake Ontario region. These storms could become severe as they move into central NY later this afternoon and evening. A Flash Flood Watch will begin at 2:00 for Southern Erie, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany and Wyoming Counties.
The National Weather Service in Albany, N.Y. and Taunton, Mass. issued the watch on Sunday morning, warning that widespread showers and thunderstorms with areas of torrential rainfall are expected during the afternoon to evening Monday.More news: White House: Trump 'has no intention' to fire Mueller
Stormy weather is predicted for much of upstate NY later Sunday, and with that, some areas could see heavy rains with the potential to cause flooding.
The Met Service says atmospheric conditions will remain unstable and deteriorating weather conditions are expected to persist across the island through to tomorrow morning. There is also an enhanced risk for some thunderstorms to become severe, with strong wind gusts exceeding 58 miles per hour and large hail.More news: Old issues return as muddle-headed England lose to Pakistan
Urban street flooding may result from clogged storm drains.
The greatest threat from these storms will be gusty, damaging winds along with hail and very heavy rain. You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued. Still, Brown said thunderstorms could produce additional rainfall and unsafe winds in all areas.More news: The IEA Thinks the Oil Glut Problem Is Getting Worse
- Donald Trump acknowledges he is under investigation in Russia probe
- Kite looks back on windy final round at Pebble
- The 10 Most Important Stories of E3 2017
- Pakistan hope Hasan will shine again in CT final
- Mexico snatch draw with Portugal in Confederations Cup
- Trump not included in Russia probe: lawyer
- Will Privatizing Air Traffic Control Services Result In Modernization?
- Newt Gingrich Now Says the President "Technically" Can't Even Obstruct Justice
- President Trump appears to confirm he's under investigation with tweet
- Hunter Greene: Getting to know No. 2 overall baseball draft pick