Commander Stuart Cundy said the number "may increase" and the recovery operation is likely to take weeks.
The aluminium cladding, called Reynobond, is banned for buildings taller than 12 metres in the U.S., far lower than the 24-storey Grenfell Tower that was consumed by the roaring blaze, according to a salesman for the company that manufactures it.
A total of 58 people are missing and presumed dead in the Grenfell Tower disaster, the officer in charge of the investigation said.
Cundy added that the figure could change. Police had previously put the death toll at 30. "So that 58 would include that 30", he said.
But she sidestepped questions over whether she had failed to judge the public mood.More news: Saudi-Turkish ties strained over differing views on Qatar
"What I'm now absolutely focused on is ensuring that we get that support on the ground", May said in a BBC Newsnight interview. But the government has been criticized for failing to act on recommendations from previous tower block fires. She also met victims of the fire in Downing Street.
The government has promised a full public inquiry, but that has done little to a sense of frustration at the lack of information about how the fire moved so quickly to engulf the building.
She said that the government has begun distributing funds from a $6.4 emergency fund created to assist victims of the blaze, and housing officials are conducting safety checks of other public high-rise towers in London.
"Today is traditionally a day of celebration".
"The Prime Minister is distraught about what has happened", said Green, who was appointed May's deputy in the wake of the general election.
The upper floors of Grenfell Tower sustained significant damage, he says, and "the sad reality is that this work will take some time, stretching into many, many weeks".More news: Kiwis beat Oracle in 1st 2 America's Cup races in Bermuda
Two boys inspect pictures of the missing.
Residents furious over the handling of the Grenfell Tower disaster descended on the local town hall Friday in west London, shouting, "We want justice".
The 91-year-old monarch said that Britain remains "resolute in the face of adversity" after the horrendous fire and recent extremist attacks in London and Manchester.
"It is hard to escape a very sombre national mood", the world's oldest and longest-reigning monarch said in a message on her official birthday.
The queen said in a statement that she was "profoundly struck by the immediate inclination of people throughout the country to offer comfort and support to those in desperate need". "United in our sadness, we are equally determined, without fear or favor, to support all those rebuilding lives so horribly affected by injury and loss".
On Friday, Elizabeth and Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, visited the area and met residents and community representatives.More news: Van hits pedestrians near London mosque, causing casualties
"Wallowing in the wash of a general election that stripped our prime minister of her authority on the very eve of European Union negotiations, neither common sense nor the evidence suggest she can re-establish public confidence", Parris wrote in the Times.
- What to expect from Jared Kushner's visits to Israel and Ramallah?
- 2nd Semi Final match - Summary
- Navy identifies 7 victims from USS Fitzgerald
- 76ers, Celtics agree on trade for No. 1 pick
- Police Officer Attacked Near Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral
- India records biggest victory against Pakistan with a 7-1 score
- Scattered Storms Monday Morning
- Rangers drawn to face Progres Niederkorn in Europa League first qualifying round
- Champions League glory a huge step for Madrid youngster Asensio
- Finally, Britain kicks off Brexit negotiations with EU