Numerous victims died trapped in their cars while trying to flee the blaze, whose cause was not yet known.
Latest from the SFGATE homepage: Click below for the top news from around the Bay Area and beyond.
At least 43 people have died in a forest fire in Portugal.
"People have to have their feet on their ground, continue to work, because we have to confirm the definitive decision by Fitch at the end of the year", he said.More news: Philando Castile's Mother Calls for Federal Prosecution of Yanez
Brandao said that "at 3:30 am my mother-in-law woke me up quickly and we never went to sleep again".
"The fire is still raging on four fronts, ' he said, of which two were spreading 'violently".
"Yesterday we saw the fire but thought it was very far".
Since noon on Saturday when the fire started in a mountainous area of the central Leiria district, measuring some 128 square kilometers, it has spilled over to another three municipalities: Castanheira de Per in Leiria, Figueiro dos Vinhos, and Gois.
'The priority now is to save those people who could still be in danger'. A wildfire in central Portugal killed at least 25 people and injured 16 others, a lot of them burning to death in their cars, the government said on June 18, 2017.More news: New Analyst Ratings For Big Yellow Group (LON:BYG)
Portuguese authorities say that they are still investigating the cause of the fire.
About 60 forest fires broke out across Portugal overnight and around 1,700 firefighters are working to put them out. "The Portuguese people have our solidarity, support and affection", Spain President Mariano Rajoy Brey wrote on Twitter.
Portugal is experiencing a heatwave with temperatures reached 40 degrees (104F) in recent days.
Portugal was hit by a series of fires previous year which devastated more than 100,000 hectares (1,000 square kilometres) of the mainland.More news: Benfica star Talisca admits Manchester United move is his dream
- Russian Federation inquiry: I'm under investigation
- Queen praises a country 'resolute in the face of adversity'
- Brexit talks with European Commission to begin on Monday
- ICC Champions Trophy: India-Pakistan clash bigger than Ashes: Irfan Pathan
- White House Confirms Trump's Speech on Cuba in Miami on Friday
- Kershaw wins, Bellinger hits 2 homers as Dodgers top Indians
- Champions Trophy final: Players look within before big game
- US Open at Erin Hills
- The complex issues of the Russian Federation probe, special counsel
- Defending champion Johnson out of US Open