Thursday, 16 August 2018
Latest news
Main » Trump Appears to Confirm He Is Under Investigation

Trump Appears to Confirm He Is Under Investigation

17 June 2017

Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, the top Justice Department official overseeing the special counsel's probe into alleged Russian meddling in last year's presidential election, has told officials that he might have to recuse himself from the investigation, according to a report from ABC News.

An hour later, Trump fired off another tweet, saying: "You are witnessing the single greatest WITCH HUNT in American political history - led by some very bad and conflicted people!".

Earlier this week, The Washington Post reported Mueller was investigating the possibility the President obstructed justice by suggesting then-FBI Director James Comey drop an FBI investigation into Michael Flynn. The White House recently began referring all questions on Trump and Russian Federation to the lawyer Marc Kasowitz.

Trump spent Friday morning touting his economic policies and criticizing the investigation.

More news: Protests in London erupt at town hall over high-rise fire

Trump's tweet comes on the heels of a vague statement on the investigation from Rosenstein, released late on Thursday, and the spate of exclusive stories about the latest developments.

Mr Trump is unlikely to face criminal prosecution as a sitting president, but obstruction of justice could be grounds for impeachment.

The new allegations against Trump center on his own admission that he fired Comey because of the Russian Federation investigation, and suggestions he asked several top intelligence officials for their help altering the inquiry's direction.

"The FBI's leak of information regarding the president is outrageous, inexcusable and illegal, " said Mark Corallo, spokesman for Trump's outside legal team. A day later, Rosenstein appointed Mueller as special counsel. Controversy erupted when President Trump's friend, Christopher Ruddy, said that President Trump thought about firing Mueller, as reported by the New York Times.

More news: Officer who shot Philando Castile found not guilty on all counts

Trump also took aim at his favorite foil - the media.

The lawsuit said CNN asked for the memos on May 16 in a Freedom of Information Act request, but said the Federal Bureau of Investigation had not turned them over yet even though the Justice Department's Office of Information had granted a request for expedited processing.

A few days after the March 22 meeting, Trump spoke separately with Coats and Rogers and asked them to issue public statements to the effect that there was no evidence of coordination between his campaign and Russian Federation.

More news: Queen Elizabeth and Prince William Comfort Survivors of the Grenfell Tower Disaster