Top US Republican lawmaker Steve Scalise remains hospitalized in critical condition after being shot this week but has improved, his surgeon said Friday as he expressed optimism about the legislator's prospects for recovery.
Within hours, the tragic shooting on a baseball practice field near Washington that left the shooter dead and a congressman and others wounded seemed to bring some foes in Congress together.
Sava said doctors have controlled Scalise's internal bleeding and his vital signs are stable but that infection remains a serious risk.
Five people were injured, including MI native Matt Mika and U.S. Rep Steve Scalise, R-Louisiana, who remain in critical condition.More news: Trump Admits He's Under Investigation, Attacks Deputy AG Rosenstein
Scalise has required multiple blood transfusions, hospital officials stated.
Members of Congress took the field at Washington's Nationals Park on Thursday night for the game, many wearing hats to honor Scalise. Sava says Scalise has responded to family members while he's still under sedation. Also shot were a congressional aide, a lobbyist and a Capitol Police officer.
Hodgkinson died after being shot by police.More news: Leo Varadkar becomes Ireland's first openly gay Prime Minister-elect
His family said they appreciate the support they've received from lawmakers and the president, and are thankful for the bravery of the special agents.
U.S. House Majority Whip, LA Representative Steve Scalise was critically wounded by gunfire in a brutal attack on Wednesday, June 14, 2017. Scalise's Capitol Police detail, two officers of whom were among the injured, has been credited with saving the lives of many present.
"In Washington, we have our disagreements, but we all agree that we are here to serve this nation we love and the people who call it home", Trump said. "He clearly knows that they're there and appreciates their presence", Sava said.
The game was played just one day after Rep. Steve Scalise and four others were shot during baseball practice for the game in Alexandria, Va. Scalise is still in the hospital, reportedly in critical condition with broken bones and damage to his internal organs.More news: Trump confirms probe over Comey firing
- Pittsburgh Penguins G Matt Murray to start Game 5 vs. Nashville Predators
- 'March Against Sharia' Event, Counter Protest Planned For Roseville
- 'Team Scalise' unites as lawmaker remains in critical condition
- US Sailors Missing in Navy Destroyer Collision With Merchant Vessel
- Andy Murray wary of Karen Khachanov test
- Three big-time stars not playing the weekend at US Open
- Harry Kane: 'I want to be England captain full time'
- Lions send message to All Blacks ahead of test series
- How to watch Pittsburgh celebrate a Stanley Cup championship online
- Super Mario Odyssey will have local co-op