The deal between Amazon and Whole Foods Markets will shake up the grocery industry as Amazon has been investing and testing new technology to transform the retail industry, such as Amazon Go, now the company has physical locations to test and implement those new technological innovations.More news: Macron's party on course for historic gains in French parliamentary election
Though the news caused trepidation among leaders in the grocery industry, Amazon boosted its presence on Wall Street with the upcoming purchase. I don't think there's any direct Amazon Whole Foods direct competition. Supermarket chain Kroger Co was off 12.1 percent at $21.60, United Natural Foods Inc tumbled 8.6 per cent to $36.35 and Sprouts Farmers Market Inc was down 5.8 per cent at $21.13.
Need your organic groceries delivered by drone?
Loblaw: In the fall of 2014, Loblaw launched its click-and-collect program, where customers order their groceries online and collect them at a designated store. The online retailer has already made a push into the sector with its AmazonFresh grocery delivery service and has explored another grocery store concept that serves walk-in customers. He added that these are likely the higher-income households who tend to buy more expensive brands and cuts of meat.More news: May nears deal with Northern Irish 'kingmakers'
Whole Foods apparently has been having trouble with their investors for what The New York Times calls a "sluggish" stock price, so now it has a huge, innovative, and loaded new owner to help beef up its operation. Those standards are core to Whole Foods Market and we will remain committed to them. The company has more than 460 stores in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Those stores join physical bookstores in Seattle. Investors are used to them not making money. If you're into running numbers, that means Amazon essentially got Whole Foods for free after you calculate the market capitalization, which comes out to around $15.6 billion on Friday. "The only mitigation is that the more niche appeal of Whole Foods will, at least for the time being, limit the threat to other players".
Founded in 1978 in Texas, Whole Foods was a pioneer of the move towards natural and organic foods.More news: Donald Trump confirms obstruction of justice probe, claiming 'witch hunt'
- Manchester United in talks with Real Madrid over Gareth Bale move
- Capitol Police Officers Shot Expected To Survive
- Malik Monk's skill, personality a "perfect fit" for Sixers
- Champions Trophy: Win against Proteas our best performance so far, says Kohli
- Rutherford County homeowner captures GA escapees at gunpoint
- India set up final clash with Pakistan
- Trump Says Obstruction Investigation Based On 'Phony' News
- British PM May to meet Sinn Fein Northern Ireland leader on Thursday
- Trump appears to confirm he's under investigation
- Comprehensive Stock Analysis Of Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (CY)