Swiss third seed Wawrinka was trying to win his second Roland Garros title in three years but was blown away by Nadal 6-2, 6-3, 6-1.
Nadal, who has now closed back to within three of Federer's all-time record with a 15th slam title, said in halting French: "It's truly unbelievable". Nadal lost a grand total of 35 games throughout the tournament, the second fewest by any man at any major in the best-of-five-set Open Era (six 1968).
"You were too good", Wawrinka told Nadal during the prize presentation after losing in a Grand Slam final for the first time in four appearances.
"I don't care about the games I lost or not, or sets, these kind of things - the only thing I care is I have been playing very well during the whole event, and I was able to win all the matches", Nadal said. The nerves and adrenaline I feel on this court is impossible to compare. "It's the most important event in my career, so to win here is something I can not describe". Trust me, I'm very happy that I'm the one who did it.More news: AG Jeff Sessions says Russian Federation collusion rumors 'appalling and detestable lie'
Rafael Nadal plays a forehand during his dominant French Open final win.
Rafael Nadal soaks in the crowd's applause after winning his 10th French Open title.
"For sure he's playing the best he's ever played, not only here", Wawrinka said.
- The Spaniard comfortably beat his compatriot for an eighth French Open but the hard yards were achieved in the semi-finals when he defeated Djokovic 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-7, 9-7 in a 4-hour 37-minute epic.
The high forehand to a one-hander's backhand, the shot that has been Roger Federer's nemesis, was working just as well against his compatriot. Wawrinka suffered his first defeat in four Slam finals and simply conceded he was no match for Nadal.More news: Firefighters yet to fully search burnt London tower block: Fire brigade chief
The Spaniard dominated the clay court winning the final 6-2, 6-3, 6-1.
"You are a great example and it's always been an honour to play against you". Wawrinka, the Swiss player ranked third in the world, had nothing in his arsenal to counteract Nadal's attack.
Nadal's triumph represented the third time he has gone all the way at Roland Garros without dropping a set, a fact he pointed to when asked if he had played his best ever tennis in this year's edition.
Top seeds Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova won their fifth Grand Slam women's doubles title on Sunday at Roland Garros, putting them halfway to a calendar Slam.
Wawrinka lost the game mentally early in the second set, going right off the boil.More news: US Republican Steve Scalise shot in baseball ambush
"I think today, if you play Rafa, if you're not completely free with what you think and what you're gonna do and not completely relaxed the way you're gonna play, you have no chance".
- Jury deadlocked in Bill Cosby sexual assault trial ordered to keep deliberating
- Two-Headed Porpoise Found, First Ever Of Its Kind
- West Virginia House passes budget without tax changes
- Arsenal rocked as Lyon president WANTS to sell Lacazette to PSG
- Trump orders more cash, industry input, for apprenticeships
- Special counsel Mueller investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice
- Trump has 'no intention' of firing special counsel Mueller: White House
- England Manager Gareth Southgate Says Raphael Varane Red Was Right Call
- Father says Otto Warmbier 'brutalized and terrorized' in N. Korea
- LeBron James: 'I Don't Believe I've Played for a Superteam'