Several California Democrats were practicing for the annual Congressional Baseball Game when they learned that a gunman opened fire at the Republican team's separate practice facility back east.
Ryan and others said that without the two officers returning fire at the gunman, identified by police as James T. Hodgkinson of IL, many might have been killed. Scalise is out of his first surgery, according to a Scalise aide. However, it is not clear if he will have a second surgery.
Lawmakers were stunned in the aftermath of the event, which raised questions about the security of members of Congress. A congressional staffer, a lobbyist and a Capitol Police officer were also wounded.More news: UK's May faces calls to soften Brexit as political limbo drags on
Rep. Steve Scalise, R-LA, was injured in the shooting, as were two Capitol police officers.
President Donald Trump is making an evening visit to the hospital where a United States congressman who was critically wounded Wednesday at baseball practice is receiving treatment.
In a statement, Texas Rep. Roger Williams, one of the team's coaches, said one of his staff members was shot during the incident and is receiving medical attention. The last time a lawmaker was shot was when Democratic Rep.
Ryan also praying for the shooting victims and praising Capitol police for their heroic efforts. "This intensity has been building I think since election night". Trump said all of them are in stable condition.More news: American Student Freed By North Korea Arrives Home
Rep. Jeff Duncan of SC said the area where the shooting took place was a normal residential recreation park.
From her vantage point behind a tree, she saw a security officer leave a nearby SUV and attempt to confront the shooter with a handgun. He was suffering from a wound to the hip, according to multiple witnesses.
Trump brought with him to the hospital Dr. Ronny Jackson, the White House physician, who had visited the center earlier in the day to ascertain Scalise's condition from doctors there.
Earlier Wednesday, Trump called for unity across party lines during a subdued statement from the White House. Hodgkinson wrote in the post: "Here's a Republic that should lose his job, but they gave him a raise".More news: Fire Mueller? Don't even think about it
- Illinois Native Who Shot Top GOP Congressman Had History of Arrests
- 'Critical need' for blood donations in Canada
- Gunman opens fire on Republicans during baseball practice
- Xbox One X: Microsoft Reveals Most Powerful -- and Expensive -- Console
- Mueller investigating Trump for obstruction of justice, Washington Post reports
- Hospitalized After London Blaze Engulfs High-Rise Building
- Trump Is Under Investigation for Obstruction of Justice
- Sony files trademarks for Shadow of the Colossus and several other titles
- GOP congressman, Capitol police, others wounded in shooting; gunman dead
- Microsoft AI gets maximum score possible on Ms Pac-Man