Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. - The Metro East man authorities believe shot at Republican members of Congress during a baseball practice near Washington, D.C., was a volunteer for the presidential campaign of Sen.
Details are coming in about the suspected gunman in a shooting at a congressional baseball practice in Virginia Wednesday, who apparently volunteered for a presidential candidate's campaign past year. "I am sickened by this despicable act".
A government official says the suspect in the Virginia shooting that injured Rep. Steve Scalise and several others has been identified as an IL man named James. "I am so grateful for the heroic action of the Capitol Hill Police Force protection detail and pray for the full recovery of my roommate Congressman Steve Scalise and others wounded this morning".
"Let me be as clear as I can be", the senator's statement read.
Hodgkinson was a member of many anti-Republican groups on Facebook including "The Road to Hell Is Paved With Republicans", "Terminate The Republican Party", and "Donald Trump is not my President", his profile showed before it was taken down.More news: SNP MPs step forward to replace ousted Angus Robertson as Westminster leader
Capitol police who were on security duty returned fire, as did Alexandria police who rushed to the scene.
GOP Representatives Ron DeSantis and Jeff Duncan both said a man police identified as Hodgkinson spoke to them just before the shooting and asked whether the people at the baseball practice were Republicans or Democrats. "We are strongest when we are unified and we work together for the common good", Trump said.
Republican lawmakers were practicing at a baseball field in the Washington suburb of Alexandria, Virginia ahead of Thursday night's annual charity game against their Democratic counterparts when Hodgkinson fired a volley of shots. Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign. Sen.
President Trump expressed his thoughts on the shooting.More news: Building blaze traumatizes London firefighters
Hean said Wednesday that he was shaken by the news of the shooting. But he said no one can recall him.
"There were three members that were kind of headed over toward our apartment, so we ran down and got them into our apartment so they could shelter in place".
A senior USA official named the gunman as James T. Hodgkinson from the St. Louis suburb of Belleville, Illinois. He said Hodgkinson was not a staffer and had no formal role in the campaign. "I hear another 'bam" and I realize, there's an active shooter".More news: Sen. Reed Weighs In On Comey Testimony
- Oglethorpe University President joins group pledging to uphold Paris Climate Agreement
- FLDS church leader Lyle Jeffs in South Dakota jail
- Sanders: Sickened at shooting attack by possible supporter
- Talks between UK PM May's Conservatives and Northern Ireland's DUP restart
- Special Counsel Investigating Donald Trump For Possible Obstruction Of Justice
- Queen hails London firefighters after blaze
- Trump to announce plans to privatize air traffic control system
- Search for escaped inmates expanding as it enters 3rd day
- Council urges people to mark first-ever National Clean Air Day
- Kroger cuts profit outlook as comparable-store sales fall