Trump has also been reported to be privately unhappy at the attorney general's move to recuse himself from recent investigations which are looking into Russian Federation possibly meddling in last year's presidential elections, according to sources. He says in a letter to Shelby that the Russian investigation would become the focus and he would appear before the intelligence committee instead. So Blumenthal wants to have the two top men in the justice department come and testify before the committee he is on, the Senate Judiciary Committee to talk about their actions.
Sessions announced his intention to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Saturday in letters to the chairmen of House and Senate appropriations subcommittees, where he had been scheduled to testify Tuesday.
Comey reportedly told lawmakers that Sessions might have had a third undisclosed meeting during a closed session after his public testimony Thursday.More news: Qatari crisis could spell new trouble for embattled Hamas
Comey was less direct in his criticism of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
CNN previously reported exclusively that congressional investigators are examining whether Sessions had an additional private meeting with Russia's ambassador during the presidential campaign, according to Republican and Democratic Hill sources and intelligence officials briefed on the investigation.More news: Iran's Parl. Speaker Calls US "International ISIS"
"We also were aware of facts that I can't discuss in an open setting that would make (Sessions') continued engagement in a Russia-related investigation problematic, " Comey added. He will also likely be asked about an exchange he had with Comey in mid-February after the then-FBI chief had a one-on-one Oval Office meeting with Trump.
A person close to Trump told CNN on Wednesday that Trump remains livid with Sessions, but understands that accepting the attorney general's resignation would ignite yet another firestorm - one that his administration can not afford.
At one point, Sessions made clear he would be willing to resign if Trump no longer wanted him. Sources told CNN Trump is frustrated that Sessions' decision to recuse himself from the Russian Federation investigation because it led to naming of a special counsel in the matter. Mr Trump fired Mr Comey later that day.More news: Justice Department argues Trump can profit off foreign governments without violating Constitution
- Wonder Woman muscles in on the men, dominating U.S. box office
- USA urges Saudi allies to ease Qatar blockade
- Oil Price Forecasts Lowered on Crude Glut
- Sessions reportedly offered to resign as tensions rise with Trump
- French Open Semi-Final Jelena Ostapenko's Best Present
- Tiger Woods seen confused, stumbling on police dashcam video
- Warren Gatland responds to critics after 'challenging' week for Lions
- Ministry: more suspects detained after Iran terror attacks
- Most Americans oppose Trump's decision to withdraw from Paris climate deal
- The US Joins The Fight Against Islamist Terrorists In The Philippines