The timing of Ohio State's move meant a high-profile coaching vacancy at a rare time in the sport's offseason.
McDermott has spent seven seasons at Creighton after four at Iowa State and five at Northern Iowa.More news: Saudi FM: 'Brother State' Qatar Must Act to End Crisis
The news comes the same night that Chicago Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg was also linked to the job. McDermott went 59-68 in four seasons with the Cyclones, never winning more than 15 games or sniffing the NCAA Tournament.
Ohio State already has its next hoops coach on its radar, just three days after parting ways with Thad Matta.More news: Kyrie Irving, Cavs Fall To Warriors In Game Three
Most recently, the McDermott-led Creighton men's basketball team finished the 2016-2017 campaign with a 25-10 record in addition to immediately coming up short against the Rhode Island Rams in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
The 49-year-old coach said he and athletic director Gene Smith agreed he would leave. Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel listed current Virginia Tech Head Coach Buzz Williams as a possible fit in Columbus. And according to Jardy's report, the search remains on-going as of early Thursday morning. Arizona's Sean Miller and Xavier's Chris Mack, meanwhile, both have removed themselves from consideration, Jardy says.More news: Nursery Worker In East London Slashed Amid 'Allah' Cries
- Nigeria's Forcados Oil Comes Back in Fresh Blow to OPEC Cuts
- Director: 'Wonder Woman' a 'hero' for all
- Lies: Comey says Trump administration fired him over FBI-Russia investigation
- Trump takes aim at key anti-ISIS ally Qatar in tweets
- Apple updates its iPad, iMac and MacBook ranges
- Rahul detained in MP
- Iran attackers fought for Islamic State in Syria, Iraq: ministry
- Unexpected jump in U.S. oil supply hammers prices
- Motorola Moto Z2 Play vs OnePlus 3T: Who will come out strong?
- Mom: "It looked like they pulled a toddler out of my belly"