More than 6 million people are enrolled in Medicaid, the program for the poor, and a related children's health insurance program in ny, according to federal data. "If we really want to bring the USA more in line with other high-income countries with regard to health care disparities, we're going to have to go beyond just achieving full insurance coverage", Hero said.More news: Luck and perfect tennis sends Nishikori to French Open QF
Insurers who back out of the marketplace, meanwhile, would be banned from participating in the state's Medicaid, Child Health Plus and Essential Plan programs, which are heavily subsidized by the state and federal government.
Several health care advocacy groups, however, cheered Cuomo's move as a way to ensure important insurance protections remain no matter what happens to the Affordable Care Act, Democratic former President Barack Obama's signature health care law, sometimes called Obamacare.
New York insurers have concerns about the plan, especially since the regulations to put it in place aren't yet available, said Leslie Moran, senior vice president at the New York Health Plan Association.More news: London attack: who are the victims?
It's the second time in as many weeks that Cuomo, considered a possible White House contender in 2020, has directed his state to buck Washington.
On Thursday, Cuomo announced that NY would abide by emission standards of the Paris Accord, immediately after Trump said he would withdraw from the worldwide pact to combat climate change.
With Congressional Republicans working to repeal and replace Obamacare, and the Trump administration fomenting uncertainty about some funding for insurers, major national carriers like Aetna Inc. and Humana Inc., as well as smaller regional plans, have quit some states.More news: Warriors Sock Cavs in Game 2, Take Command in NBA Finals
Or put another way: If you're one of the people who already have health care coverage with the ACA and are happy with the benefits and services and you believe the Liar-in-Chief Donald Trump that the non-existent Republican replacement for the ACA will be better, you still have more to learn about Republican lies and obstruction.
- Apple aims to 'reinvent home music' with HomePod smart speaker
- Golden State routs Cleveland again, leads 2-0 in NBA Finals
- Afghan president says last week's bombing killed over 150
- China joins with European Union in sticking to Paris climate pact
- Police release 12 people held after London atrocity and name two attackers
- Comey to testify openly about Trump discussions, not so on Russian Federation
- Siri, speakers and software among Apple show highlights
- Preds even Stanley Cup Final at 2-2, beat Penguins 4-1
- IMac Pro, the Most Powerful Mac Ever, Arrives This December
- India's Adani gives final approval for $4 billion Australia coal mine