More than 6 million people are enrolled in Medicaid, the program for the poor, and a related children's health insurance program in ny, according to federal data. "If we really want to bring the USA more in line with other high-income countries with regard to health care disparities, we're going to have to go beyond just achieving full insurance coverage", Hero said.More news: Apple 'HomePod' speaker to take on Amazon, Google
Insurers who back out of the marketplace, meanwhile, would be banned from participating in the state's Medicaid, Child Health Plus and Essential Plan programs, which are heavily subsidized by the state and federal government.
Several health care advocacy groups, however, cheered Cuomo's move as a way to ensure important insurance protections remain no matter what happens to the Affordable Care Act, Democratic former President Barack Obama's signature health care law, sometimes called Obamacare.
New York insurers have concerns about the plan, especially since the regulations to put it in place aren't yet available, said Leslie Moran, senior vice president at the New York Health Plan Association.More news: Preds even Stanley Cup Final at 2-2, beat Penguins 4-1
It's the second time in as many weeks that Cuomo, considered a possible White House contender in 2020, has directed his state to buck Washington.
On Thursday, Cuomo announced that NY would abide by emission standards of the Paris Accord, immediately after Trump said he would withdraw from the worldwide pact to combat climate change.
With Congressional Republicans working to repeal and replace Obamacare, and the Trump administration fomenting uncertainty about some funding for insurers, major national carriers like Aetna Inc. and Humana Inc., as well as smaller regional plans, have quit some states.More news: Virgil van Dijk transfer odds: Can any team scupper Liverpool move?
Or put another way: If you're one of the people who already have health care coverage with the ACA and are happy with the benefits and services and you believe the Liar-in-Chief Donald Trump that the non-existent Republican replacement for the ACA will be better, you still have more to learn about Republican lies and obstruction.
- Ejaria features as England U20s reach World Cup semi-final
- Orlando Gunman Targeted Victims at Fiamma Inc
- Golden State routs Cleveland again, leads 2-0 in NBA Finals
- India's Adani gives final approval for $4 billion Australia coal mine
- Sudan urges 'reconciliation' to end Gulf row with Qatar
- Warriors Sock Cavs in Game 2, Take Command in NBA Finals
- Luck and perfect tennis sends Nishikori to French Open QF
- Gunman kills 36 in Manila casino
- Comey to testify openly about Trump discussions, not so on Russian Federation
- London attack: who are the victims?