Monday, 18 June 2018
Latest news
Main » Napoli forward Dries Mertens reveals Chelsea interest having won Antonio Conte approval

Napoli forward Dries Mertens reveals Chelsea interest having won Antonio Conte approval

04 June 2017

Dries Mertens admits he rebuffed interest from Barcelona and Chelsea in order to renew his Napoli contract.

The Belgium global enjoyed an outstanding season in Serie A, scoring 28 goals in the league, and renewed his contract with the club last week. Mertens will therefore stay in Napoli, despite the many tantalizing proposals that are arriving, especially those from Barcelona and Chelsea.

More news: US warns Beijing on South China Sea islands

Mertens' discussions with Napoli dragged on and several sides were linked with wanting to snap him up, including Everton and Manchester United.

Confirming his agent had held talks with Chelsea, Mertens told Sky Sports News HQ: "Yes there was interest [from Chelsea], and from other clubs also, but in my head there was never an intention to change clubs".

More news: Nunes-led House Intelligence Committee asked for 'unmaskings' of Americans

"Feeling good" is a bit of an understatement considering the season the Belgium worldwide has just had with the Serie A club.

The 30-year-old netted 28 goals in 35 Serie A games for the Italian giants. "I am going to try and be even better next year".

More news: Hundreds of Juventus fans injured in stampede in Turin

CHELSEA - The Belgian striker has also revealed another interesting backdrop, which has the directors of Chelsea and especially Antonio Conte, who has never phoned Mertens during. They were interested, but I've always said that here I'm fine. I really like Italy.

Napoli forward Dries Mertens reveals Chelsea interest having won Antonio Conte approval