With reports Alexandre Lacazette was set to switch Lyon for Madrid in the close season, CAS' decision has thrown the move into doubt, at least temporarily.
Antoine Griezmann of Atletico Madrid looks on during the UEFA Champions League Semi Final second leg match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Real Madrid CF at Vicente Calderon Stadium on May 10, 2017 in Madrid, Spain.
He still has a release clause that United could easily meet though, meaning interest has cooled on the part of the player or Jose Mourinho.More news: Nunes-led House Intelligence Committee asked for 'unmaskings' of Americans
But he offered a hint at his thinking in a Twitter post on Thursday evening which read: "Now more than ever #Atleti #All together". His compatriot Paul Pogba too, was tasked to convince him to join, and the former Juve midfielder will undoubtedly be frustrated at the club's failure to sign him.
Express Sport understands the Red Devils have now made Everton hitman Romelu Lukaku their No1 target.
Ibrahimovic scored 28 goals in 46 games in his first season at United before injury prematurely ended his campaign.More news: Cops treating London van attack as 'terrorist incident'
Mourinho may want a more traditional striker to replace Zlatan, with the club unlikely to extend his contract. The United boss will certainly be considering one of the three names if he has decided on letting go of Ibrahimovic.
- London attack: Six killed in vehicle and stabbing incidents
- Warriors star Stephen Curry a different player this NBA Finals
- US warns Beijing on South China Sea islands
- Scottish First Minister Extends Condolences Following Terror Incidents in London
- German rock concert resumes after terrorism alert
- India captain Kohli has 'no problems' with Kumble
- Raqqa offensive to begin within days as SDF makes more gains
- No sign of the ultimate deal as Donald Trump leaves Israel
- London Bridge terror attack
- UK's May grilled by voters, urged to confront Trump on Paris