With reports Alexandre Lacazette was set to switch Lyon for Madrid in the close season, CAS' decision has thrown the move into doubt, at least temporarily.
Antoine Griezmann of Atletico Madrid looks on during the UEFA Champions League Semi Final second leg match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Real Madrid CF at Vicente Calderon Stadium on May 10, 2017 in Madrid, Spain.
He still has a release clause that United could easily meet though, meaning interest has cooled on the part of the player or Jose Mourinho.More news: Kazakhstan supports oil cut deal prolonging
But he offered a hint at his thinking in a Twitter post on Thursday evening which read: "Now more than ever #Atleti #All together". His compatriot Paul Pogba too, was tasked to convince him to join, and the former Juve midfielder will undoubtedly be frustrated at the club's failure to sign him.
Express Sport understands the Red Devils have now made Everton hitman Romelu Lukaku their No1 target.
Ibrahimovic scored 28 goals in 46 games in his first season at United before injury prematurely ended his campaign.More news: No sign of the ultimate deal as Donald Trump leaves Israel
Mourinho may want a more traditional striker to replace Zlatan, with the club unlikely to extend his contract. The United boss will certainly be considering one of the three names if he has decided on letting go of Ibrahimovic.
- Cristiano Ronaldo bags brace as Real Madrid clinch Champions League
- Police at London Bridge after car reportedly plows into people
- LeBron: Durant the difference in Finals Game 1
- Nunes-led House Intelligence Committee asked for 'unmaskings' of Americans
- NY Times: Trump Not Planning to Invoke Executive Privilege for Comey Testimony
- Raqqa offensive to begin within days as SDF makes more gains
- Trump administration split over moving embassy to Jerusalem, says report
- Andy Murray overcomes tough Del Potro in French Open
- Mayors Want to Take Lead on Climate After Trump's Paris Announcement
- Final stage of voting in Fine Gael leadership contest