With reports Alexandre Lacazette was set to switch Lyon for Madrid in the close season, CAS' decision has thrown the move into doubt, at least temporarily.
Antoine Griezmann of Atletico Madrid looks on during the UEFA Champions League Semi Final second leg match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Real Madrid CF at Vicente Calderon Stadium on May 10, 2017 in Madrid, Spain.
He still has a release clause that United could easily meet though, meaning interest has cooled on the part of the player or Jose Mourinho.More news: Cops treating London van attack as 'terrorist incident'
But he offered a hint at his thinking in a Twitter post on Thursday evening which read: "Now more than ever #Atleti #All together". His compatriot Paul Pogba too, was tasked to convince him to join, and the former Juve midfielder will undoubtedly be frustrated at the club's failure to sign him.
Express Sport understands the Red Devils have now made Everton hitman Romelu Lukaku their No1 target.
Ibrahimovic scored 28 goals in 46 games in his first season at United before injury prematurely ended his campaign.More news: Final stage of voting in Fine Gael leadership contest
Mourinho may want a more traditional striker to replace Zlatan, with the club unlikely to extend his contract. The United boss will certainly be considering one of the three names if he has decided on letting go of Ibrahimovic.
- Andy Murray overcomes tough Del Potro in French Open
- German rock concert resumes after terrorism alert
- Downtown packed for Stanley Cup Final debut in Nashville
- London attack: Six killed in vehicle and stabbing incidents
- US warns Beijing on South China Sea islands
- Cristiano Ronaldo bags brace as Real Madrid clinch Champions League
- Mayors Want to Take Lead on Climate After Trump's Paris Announcement
- Nunes-led House Intelligence Committee asked for 'unmaskings' of Americans
- India captain Kohli has 'no problems' with Kumble
- LeBron: Durant the difference in Finals Game 1