"Despite the negative press covfefe", Trump's tweet read before it was deleted Wednesday morning. Trump poked fun at the typo, tweeting around 6 a.m., "Who can figure out the true meaning of "covfefe" -?"
The tweet, sent at 12:06 a.m., was favorited almost 10,000 times in one minute and drew ridicule of online Trump critics.
The word took social media by storm after the president tweeted about "constant negative press covfefe". (The tweet has since been deleted).More news: London terror attacks: What we know and don't know
He stoked suspense about whether he'll pull the US out of an worldwide climate change agreement: "I will be announcing my decision on the Paris Accord over the next few days".
I have the best #covfefe.
However, the folks at Merriam-Webster didn't have much to say about covfefe because, quite simply, it doesn't exist.
"No, I think the president and a small group of people know exactly what he meant", Spicer said during Wednesday's press briefing. When asked in the past about other Trump tweets, White House spokesman Sean Spicer has said the posts speak for themselves.More news: Rinne starting for Preds, Bonino likely out
Using the hashtag "covfefe", Twitter users speculated over the reasons behind the tweet.
"Never thought I'd see the day when Trump would make me laugh", @aki23_6 wrote the same day.
Earlier on Wednesday, Clinton - who refused to let such a good opportunity to mock her formal presidential candidate rival - also cracked a joke about the misspelled tweet while speaking at the Code Conference in Los Angeles.More news: North Korea 'poses a threat to us all': Mattis
- World leaders vow to defend climate pact
- Zidane team talk was key to victory, says Ronaldo
- Klay Thompson makes up for shooting slump on defensive end
- Report of Multiple Casualties in Incident on London Bridge
- Cher leads tributes to Gregg Allman
- Terrified Londoners flee as van 'hits 15 to 20' on street
- Raiders members share reactions, predictions on NBA Finals
- Cavaliers need heart, pride, fewer mistakes in Finals
- Nunes-led House Intelligence Committee asked for 'unmaskings' of Americans
- NY Times: Trump Not Planning to Invoke Executive Privilege for Comey Testimony