Fans gathered outside the gates of Hollywood Forever Cemetery, where they played Soundgarden songs on a portable speaker, awaiting the chance to attend a public memorial and viewing of his final resting place on Friday afternoon.
Cornell, 52, was found dead in his hotel in Detroit last week hours after his band played a concert in the city.
Cornell's ashes were reportedly placed next to his friend Johnny Ramone's remains, TMZ reported.More news: Modi meets Governors of 16 Russian regions
Though an initial autopsy officially determined his cause of death to be suicide by hanging, Cornell's family is waiting for the toxicology tests result that could reveal any substance in his system at the time of his death. Cornell's widow contested the ruling saying that he took too many prescription pills.
Metallica's James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, Pat Smear and Taylor Hawkins, Pharrell Williams, Krist Novoselic, Nile Rodgers, Courtney Love, Jane's Addiction's Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro and Joe Walsh were among the rockers who attended the funeral, with actors like James Franco, Christian Bale and Brad Pitt also in attendance.
Kanan Sanchez places a folded sheet of paper with the word "Sound" over the stone at the Garden of Legends section of the Hollywood Forever Cemetery where Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell was buried at a funeral service in Los Angeles, California on May 26, 2017.More news: Hundreds demonstrate in Kabul for better security
A version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah was also performed on an acoustic guitar.
Eulogies were delivered by the likes of Josh Brolin, Tom Morello, and Jeff Ament.
"The demons he wrestled with were real, but he harnessed those demons and rode them like a mother-flipping chariot of lightning strapped with Marshall stacks to make some of the greatest rock 'n" roll of all time'. Cameron said he and Cornell had "so many normal dad conversations" about the Cornell kids: Christopher, Toni and Lily. She and Chris were always all about their kids.More news: British PM May seen 13 seats short of majority - YouGov
"I just feel like his life was cut short", she added.
- Democrats Plot 'Revolution' to Circumvent Trump's Paris Decision
- Pakistan rejects Afghanistan's allegations about Kabul attack
- Donald Trump, Saudi King inaugurate global centre against extremism
- Iowa and Nebraska lawmakers stand by Trump on Paris climate accord
- CytRx Corporation (CYTR) Reviewed By Analysts
- Australian PM urges China to stop 'reckless' North Korea
- Gov. Charlie Baker says MA will join US Climate Alliance
- French Ministry takes on Trump with its own climate change video
- Times Trump Broke His Own Health Care Promises
- Some LGBT facts for Pride Month