Monday, 20 January 2020
Latest news
Main » 36 bodies found in Manila casino after attack

36 bodies found in Manila casino after attack

02 June 2017

At least 37 bodies, including that of a gunman, were found inside a Manila casino hotel that was set on fire by the attacker, the Philippine police said on Friday.

Philippine National Police chief General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa downplayed news reports that the Islamic State terror group was behind the attack, saying the early evidence doesn't yet point in that direction.

Meanwhile, as The Two-Way reported, the Philippine military has been battling ISIS-linked militants that seized parts of the southern city of Marawi last month.

"He lay down on the bed, covered himself with a thick blanket, apparently poured petrol on the blanket and burned himself", Dela Rosa said. "But he did not hurt anyone". He says either the suspect lost in the casino and wanted to get his money back, or went "totally nuts".

The body of the gunman was found in a hotel room inside the complex about five hours later, Dela Rosa said.

More news: Gunman storms Philippine casino, police suspect robbery

The suspect stole 113 million pesos (2.26 million dollars) worth of chips, which he placed in a backpack that he later left in a bathroom in the hotel, Dela Rosa said.

The gunman did not shoot anyone but disappeared into the chaos of smoke and running people, leading to a manhunt throughout the casino, hotel and shopping complex that ended just after dawn. The only gunshot wound was a guard at the complex who accidentally shot himself, authorities said.

White House Press Secretary Sean said that President Trump has been made aware of the situation, and was being given updates by his national security team.

Resorts World Manila Chief Operating Officer Stephen Reilly confirmed that shots were fired and said "at this time, there are no reported injuries". "We can not attribute this to terrorism".

"Our thoughts and our prayers are with all of those affected", the US president added.

More news: Local lawmakers weigh in on continued state budget impasse

"We see no terrorism in this act", the spokesperson said.

One South Korean died and three others were injured in a shooting attack at a resort hotel complex in Manila, Seoul's embassy in the Southeast Asian country said Friday.

The Resorts World building in the Philippines capital went into lockdown after the sound of gunfire and explosions sent crowds fleeing shortly after midnight on Friday.

Mr Duterte has said he fears Islamic State's "terrible ideology" will spread on Mindanao, an island of 22 million people, and has warned it could become a haven for supporters fleeing Iraq and Syria.

An English message by the operative was distributed across several pro-IS Telegram chat groups, SITE said.

More news: Reggae star Damian Marley, others buy control of High Times