We always thought that we could win the Europa League and we are very happy.
Speaking to BT Sport, former Manchester United defender Ferdinand said: "He has shown in this competition [the Europa League] he is good enough". Big names are likely to arrive at Old Trafford before then as United look to win the Premier League for the first time since Sir Alex Ferguson retired four years ago.
"If we could, we would obviously change the people's lives for this cup, immediately", the manager said after the match.More news: Strong Storms Possible Tonight
There were songs and cheers in Manchester along with a somber undercurrent because, as one man told the BBC, "I think everyone's thinking about the same things".
"It was a great final and my first European final with United, hopefully the first of many".
The Portuguese has endured plenty of criticism this season, with United finishing sixth in the Premier League and appearing unconvincing en route to the final.
Not since Bayern Munich defeated Chelsea in the 2013 European Super Cup (which, coincidentally, was Mourinho's last European final before this week).
United are unlikely to fetch anything like the £27m they paid for Shaw back in 2014 but it seems as if they are ready to cut their losses and bring in a more established replacement.More news: Trump And The Mideast: Looking At The Bigger Picture
"You know it is going to be hard after conceding such an unlucky goal. So I thank everyone at the club that had a contribution for that".
Less than 48 hours after the horrific attack that rocked Manchester, fans rallied behind their team and the city as a whole.More news: Jakarta blasts: Attackers linked to IS, police say
- Most wanted Philippine militant Hapilon often evasive
- Conte clear-headed for close season after Chelsea's Wembley woe
- Arsenal deny Chelsea double as Ramsey seals FA Cup
- Here's how Trump's 3% economic growth target stacks up against past presidents
- Mark Zuckerberg's Harvard Commencent Speech Reveals What He Cares About Most
- Manchester bomber 'part of terror network'
- Celtics star Thomas unsure if he'll need hip surgery
- South Korea's Park Pleads Not Guilty in First Hearing
- Texas House Declines To Negotiate With Senate On Its Proposed 'Bathroom' Compromise
- Ferguson: United UEL Win Gave The City A Lift