The group released almost a dozen studio albums, but their legacy is really in live shows, which some jam fans and tape traders cherished as much as the Grateful Dead's.
Allman, who had been married and divorced six times, leaves behind five children, including musicians Elijah Blue Allman (his child with Cher), and Devon Allman. "I love music, I love to play good music, and I love to play music for people who appreciate it".
"The way I see it, there are four original basic kings of original rock "n" roll - and don't confuse that with the crap you hear now", he said in 2013.
In 2007, Allman was diagnosed with Hepatitis C, which he attributed to a dirty tattoo needle, and he received a liver transplant. The Allman Brothers Band's popularity reached a peak in 1974 as they regularly played shows in arenas and stadiums and toured alongside the Grateful Dead.More news: City pool to open for the season Saturday
Allman's percussive Hammond B-3 organ playing helped anchor the Allman Brothers' rhythm section and provided a chuffing counterpoint to the often heated musical interplay between his brother and the band's other lead guitarist, Dickey Betts.
"That song is about Hollywood, and how bad I wanted out of that place", Allman wrote in his autobiography. "I think it just creates a diversion from the pain itself". Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident in 1971.
Police say two people died and another was hurt in a stabbing on a Northeast Portland light-rail train after a man yelled racial slurs at tw... He also taught me how to please an audience with your voice and pour your heart out and never regret.
The brothers moved to Los Angeles in the late '60s and formed a group called the Hour Glass, which released a pair of psychedelic-leaning pop albums for Liberty Records. In 1995 the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they won a Grammy Award for best rock instrumental performance for "Jessica" the following year.More news: KISS cancels concert in Manchester after terrorist attack
The Allman Brothers Band likewise split up in the 1980s and then re-formed several times over the years.
The apex of Allman's solo career came in 1987 with the release of hit single "I'm No Angel".
The Allman Brothers Band reunited in 1978 and after one more album for Capricorn switched to Arista Records.
In 1973, as the Allmans worked on Brothers and Sisters, Gregg also worked on his solo debut, Laid Back, which featured a different arrangement of "Midnight Rider" as well as Allman's cover of Jackson Browne's "These Days".More news: Arsenal beat Chelsea 2-1 to win record 13th FA Cup
- Athletes encounter visa issues for Prefontaine meet
- Oil price falls despite OPEC deal extension
- Oil prices bounce higher as ministers promise crude cuts until 2018
- Confederate Statues In New Orleans Are Gone... Now What?
- Cavaliers destroy Celtics to set up NBA Finals rematch with Warriors
- Philippine Army Launches New Air Raid Against Terrorists
- Manchester attack: Beckham says United's Europa League win 'brings happiness'
- Trump's Handshake With Emmanuel Macron Was 'Aggressive Move,' Expert Says
- British Airways cancels all flights from 2 London airports amid computer outage
- China urges North Korea talks, skirts questions on US sanctions push