Monday, 24 September 2018
Latest news
Main » Bomb disposal team used to search Wigan house in UK bomb investigation

Bomb disposal team used to search Wigan house in UK bomb investigation

28 May 2017

British-born Salman Abedi, 22, who was known to security services, killed 22 people and injured 64 others at the Manchester Arena which was packed with children and teenagers for U.S. singer Ariana Grande's performance on Monday night.

A house in the town of Wigan in Greater Manchester, United Kingdom is being searched in connection with the investigation of Monday's deadly bombing at Manchester Arena, Greater Manchester Police said Thursday, Sputnik reported.

The borough has been the scene of intense police activity, with bomb disposal teams being called to Upper Dicconson Street on Swinley on Wednesday afternoon when a man was also arrested in connection with Monday night's terror attack.

Officials have confirmed the operation, which takes place in the same area of Manchester where vile suicide bomber Salman Abedi lived.

Earlier on Wednesday, four people were arrested in Manchester while two arrests were made by local law enforcement in Tripoli, Libya.

More news: Capcom Bringing Monster Hunter to Nintendo Switch

"As regards the full ongoing investigation we now have eight people who have been arrested in connection with Monday's attack".

Rudd scolded USA officials for leaking details about the investigation into the Manchester attack before British authorities were prepared to go public.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said she would discuss the leaks with President Donald Trump at a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit. She said he had been known to security forces "up to a point".

But she said "part of that trust is knowing that intelligence can be shared confidently".

Authorities believe he had help in building the bomb, which photographs published by the New York Times, showed was sophisticated and powerful, and that his accomplices could be ready to strike again. Authorities say they are working to shut down a network of people with ties to the bomber, 22-year-old British-born Salman Abedi. Hopkins said the leaks "caused much distress for families that are already suffering terribly with their loss".

More news: Turkish foreign minister says wants USA envoy McGurk changed

She also complained about US officials leaking sensitive information about Abedi to the press, saying that could hinder Britain's security services and police. "I am asking the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to launch a complete review of this matter, and if appropriate, the culprit should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law".

Britain's official terror threat level was raised to "critical", the highest level, late on Tuesday, meaning an attack was expected imminently.

Because of the new threat level, approximately 1,000 military personnel were deployed Wednesday to provide security at key sites including the Buckingham Palace and the parliament in London. Hopkins said it was too early to say whether the incident was linked to the attack but urged the public to be vigilant.

Around the country, many people fell silent and bowed their heads at 11 a.m. for a minute in tribute to the bombing victims.

In Manchester's St. Ann's Square, where a sea of floral tributes grew by the hour, a crowd sang the hometown band Oasis' song "Don't Look Back in Anger".

More news: Man arrested in Warwickshire over Manchester bombing

Bomb disposal team used to search Wigan house in UK bomb investigation