Sunday, 19 August 2018
Latest news
Main » UK police arrest two more after Manchester attack

UK police arrest two more after Manchester attack

27 May 2017

The photos are purported to be from the preliminary investigation into Monday's attack, which killed 22 people and left around 60 others in hospital.

The arrests have taken place in Manchester, Wigan and Nuneaton.

British Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to express her country's concerns about the matter to President Donald Trump at a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation meeting on Thursday in Belgium, according to multiple published reports.

The British government and Greater Manchester police had refused to confirm the identity of the suicide bomber as Salman Abedi just over two hours before his name appeared in US media outlets. Much of the summit is expected to be about terrorism in the wake of the attack in Manchester. The club dedicated their trophy to those killed, while manager Jose Mourinho said they would gladly exchange it if it could bring their lives back.

More news: Thousands flee as Isis-linked militants raid Philippines city

"These searches are connected to Monday's attack on the Manchester Arena, but this is a fast-moving investigation and we are keeping an open mind at this stage".

The New York Times published on Wednesday what appeared to be police photographs showing fragments from the bomb and a backpack used to hide it.

Could these leaks make other nations be more cautious about the intelligence they share with the U.S.?

A Whitehall source described the second United States leak as "on another level", and told the BBC it had caused "disbelief and astonishment" across the British government.

More news: Microsoft just announced the next major Windows 10 update

Britain's National Police Chiefs' Council warned on Wednesday that the "underauthorised disclosure" of potential evidence was a breach of trust that had potentially undermined a "major counter-terrorism investigation".

"Until now my son is a suspect, and the authorities haven't come up with a final conclusion", Ramadan Abedi said in an interview at his home in Tripoli, insisting on his son's innocence. A spokesman for the Deterrence Force, which acts as Libya's Government of National Accord's police, said the brother was aware of Abedi's plan and the siblings were both members of the Islamic State jihadist group. The statement also said he left the United Kingdom in mid-April and had been under surveillance about a month and a half.

The government had no comment on the BBC report on Thursday, saying such a decision would be up to the police. A woman who was arrested in Blackley on Wednesday evening has been released. They were arrested "after police executed warrants in South Manchester", the Greater Manchester Police department says. Abedi is also said to have visited Frankfurt in 2015. "In any case, the links with Daesh are proven", he said.

Britain's official threat level was raised to the highest level, or "critical" following the Manchester attack, with armed troops deployed to guard landmarks.

More news: President: Iran Not to Heed Enemies' Comments on Missiles

Soldiers will now also be sent to guard large public events.

UK police arrest two more after Manchester attack