President Donald Trump placed a note in the Western Wall in Jerusalem on Monday, becoming the first sitting US president to visit one of Judaism's holiest sites. Mick Mulvaney, Trump's top budget official, said for the first time the budget looks at spending from the point of view of the taxpayers, rather than the people who get government help.
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) also commended Trump.More news: Saudi Arabia and UAE pledge $100M to women's fund Ivanka Trump supports
President Trump was the first USA president to visit the Western Wall.
"Returning to the Kotel with these people was nearly as exciting as my first time", Karasenti, the first paratrooper to reach the Western Wall in 1967, said in a statement.
"There were very substantive discussions in Israel with both PM Netanyahu as well as President Abbas", Tillerson said.More news: 'Alien: Covenant' edges 'Guardians' at weekend box office
In contrast, Husam Zomlot, Palestinian ambassador to the United States and a key Abbas ally, said he did not see Trump's comments as a U.S. policy shift.
More Military; Less for Social Programs - The president is proposing major changes in the way Washington's $4.1 trillion budget is spent, with more money for the military, border security, and veterans. The latest round of peace talks in 2014, involving then-President Barack Obama and John Kerry, his secretary of state, failed to reach a deal.
Trump later visited the Western Wall and Yad Vashem, the Israeli Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem, and spoke at the Israel Museum, where he focused on terrorism.More news: 'Significant' fall in net long-term migration to UK
The dailies highlighted statements by Abbas saying that the real problem for the conflict is with the Israeli occupation and settlements, and that Palestinian independence is the key to stability.
- Israel Prime Minister Responds to Secretary Tillerson on US Embassy Move
- Flynn hit with more subpoenas, may be held in contempt of Congress
- Man Utd beat Ajax to win Europa League
- Remembering the fallen on Memorial Day — Military Appreciation Month
- Trump asked top intel officials to defend him on Russian Federation claims
- Donald Trump Told Russians James Comey Was A 'Nut Job' & Twitter Explodes
- Trump wants Mideast peace 'compromise' but says won't be easy
- Moody's China downgrade 'illogical', overstates debt
- LeBron James on Game 3 performance: 'I was just pretty poor'
- Gritty Celtics conjure up a win