The government said almost 1,000 soldiers were deployed Wednesday in high-profile sites in London and elsewhere, replacing police, who can work on counter-terrorism duties.
Abedi's family ties and travels in Libya drew severe scrutiny Wednesday as authorities continued to piece together what led the British-born man to carry out the deadliest terror attack in the United Kingdom in more than a decade.
Late Wednesday, Libyan officials said counter-terrorism officials arrested the bomber's father as well as the younger brother, Hashem Abedi, the Associated Press reports.
After getting word that Salman Abedi and his brother Hashim were getting into trouble in England, Ramadan Abedi sent for his boys and they joined their parents about a month ago, a family friend in Libya told CNN.
Hashim Ramadan Abedi, the brother of Manchester bomber Salman Abedi, at the Tripoli-based Special Deterrent anti-terrorism force unit after his arrest.
Three days after he returned, Salman Abedi went to an Ariana Grande concert where authorities said he detonated a bomb that killed 22 fans - many of them children and young people - who were leaving the Manchester Arena. He was reportedly born in the U.K.to Libyan parents who had fled the regime of Moammar Gadhafi.More news: False alarm: Braves say no emergency, just malfunction
The Times newspaper said Abedi was believed to have returned to Britain from Libya recently. Grande had been scheduled to perform in London this week, but her management team says she is canceling all shows through June 5.
Police on Tuesday raided his house, using a controlled explosion to blast down the door.
Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told reporters it was very clear they were investigating what he called "a network". Her French counterpart Gerard Collomb said he had links with Islamic State and had probably visited Syria as well. "He used to fly a flag with Arabic writing on hanging out of the window but there are a lot of different types of people around here so I didn't think much of it". The identities of those arrested and any charges against them have not been revealed. He confirmed that Ismail, another son living in Manchester, was taken into police custody after the attack. But British authorities said they have yet to determine if the claim is valid and what, if any, assistance the Manchester college student received in constructing the bomb, picking his target and executing the attack. It said the father had not been charged but was taken in for questioning.
Raids have also been carried out in south Manchester.
"There's sort of ash and the smell of smoke", that resident, Adam Prince, tells Frank.
The photos are purported to be from the preliminary investigation into Monday's attack, which killed 22 people and left around 60 others in hospital. As of Wednesday morning, police say, they have identified all of the fatalities and contacted all of the families involved.More news: India targets United Nations observers vehicle at LoC
Numerous victims of the blast were young girls, with the youngest identified so far being just 8-year-old. Other victims who have been identified range from teenagers to a Polish couple, Angelika and Marcin Klis, who came to the venue to pick up their daughters. ISIS claimed responsibility, saying Abedi was a "soldier of the caliphate", but offered no evidence. The UK terror threat level has been raised to its highest level, "critical", indicating more attacks may be imminent.
"The military will be working under the Metropolitan Police Service command structure to provide static armed guarding at key locations", the police said in a statement on Wednesday.
"We don't believe in killing innocents", Abedi said before his arrest.
Monday's attack "shocked us all", he said.
In London, police and security are being boosted, the Metropolitan Police Service announced Wednesday. Earlier, officials had said 59 people were wounded.
"Whilst some of what we are doing will be obvious to the public there is a huge amount of work happening day and night that the public will never know about", Commander Jane Connors, leading the London policing operation, said.More news: Kyrie Irving Proved He's Ready to Take the Throne
Missing some content? Care to comment?
- Iran shrugs off Trump threats, missile tests to carry on
- We can't remember the last time we saw Jose Mourinho this happy
- Newspapers Review: Trump in Bethlehem highlight of dailies
- Panamagate: JIT submits 1st fortnightly report to Pak SC
- Trump heads to Bethlehem to meet Palestinian leader
- Priest among hostages of extremists in the Philippines
- Brock Osweiler didn't know Texans were going to trade him
- Koscielny to miss FA Cup final after seeing red against Everton
- Senate issues two more subpoenas for Michael Flynn's documents An error occurred
- Watch MI vs RPS live IPL 10 Qualifier 1 on Hotstar