Robert Bertrand, the CFO of Soupman Inc., which licenses the popular "Soup Nazi" character from Seinfeld, has been accused of failing to pay more than $500,000 in Medicare, Social Security and federal income taxes.
According to prosecutors, Bertrand's actions cheated the government out of $590,000 in taxes.
The government says Bertrand paid Soupman employees unreported cash on the side and gave some workers large unreported stock awards.
America's Favorite Pizza Chain Mexican Spot More Revealed Marco Ugarte AP
Yeganeh was the inspiration for Yev Kassem, a character portrayed by Larry Thomas on a 1995 "Seinfeld" episode who was known for making customers follow strict ordering rules, or risk being shunted away with his forceful bellow: "No soup for you!" From 2010 to 2014, Soupman racked up almost $3 million in unreported stock and cash compensation, and the total tax loss to the government was about $600,000, they said.
He did not immediately return an email seeking comment.
Bertrand, is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday afternoon.More news: Berkshire Bank to buy out Commerce Bank, bolster Eastern Mass presence
Bertrand faces a maximum five years in prison.
Yeganeh is not an executive of the company, but receives licensing fees from it, owns an interest in its franchising business and is listed on the "Our Team" page of the company's website, which makes heavy use of his likeness.
'He's not going back there to dish out the soup, but he is still the heart of the company, ' Bertrand told NBC in 2010.More news: Iraq says achieved OPEC oil cut share, ready to meet new demand
"The United States was fleeced out of more than half a million dollars through the defendant's corporate misdeeds", said Acting U.S. Attorney Bridget M. Rohde.More news: Pope Francis meets first lady Melania Trump
- Manchester soccer coach's wife, daughters escape terror attack
- Trump sets sight on the big deal: Mideast peace
- Video of Melania Trump slapping Donald Trump's hand goes viral
- Normani Kordei Calls 'DWTS' Results a 'Shocker,' Praises 'Big Brother' Rashad Jennings'
- Gunmen in Philippines take hostages, including priest
- We have to play the Ajax way to beat Man Utd - Bosz
- Coach Valverde leaving Athletic Bilbao
- Victor Moses CAF congratulate Chelsea star on Premier League win
- South Korean military fires warning shots at object flown from North
- Movie Beat: Michael Fassbender both best and worst thing about "Alien: Covenant"