Friday, 19 October 2018
Latest news
Main » Islamic State group claims deadly Manchester concert bombing

Islamic State group claims deadly Manchester concert bombing

23 May 2017

A lone bomber detonated a homemade device packed with nuts and bolts in the foyer of the Manchester Arena as thousands of young people were leaving a concert by USA pop star Ariana Grande on Monday night. Police believe Masood acted alone and was motivated by Islamist extremism.

An 8-year-old girl was among the dead - the youngest known victim - and her mother and sister were among 59 people wounded in what May called "a callous terrorist attack".

Moreover, the Islamic State's Amaq news agency posted a claim of responsibility for the attack on May 23, saying the attacker was a "soldier of the caliphate" adding he had placed multiple explosive devices in the midst of a gathering of "crusaders", claims that have not been supported by the investigation to date. He was of the opinion that the blast was "absolutely consistent" with various other terrorist activities that have been carried out across the continent.

Ellie Ward, 17, made his way out of the arena after the blast, and found her 64-year-old grandfather, who had been waiting for him when the explosion happened.

"This is only the beginning".

While the attack is an outlier for recent jihadist activity in the United Kingdom, it is consistent with attacks directed or inspired by the Islamic State and al Qaeda targeting entertainment venues in Orlando, Istanbul and Germany.

More news: Fox's Geraldo Rivera Embraces Seth Rich Conspiracy

"Manchester is today waking up to the most hard of dawns", he said.

Manchester itself has seen attacks before, but not this deadly.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the American authorities were "working closely" with British officials to help them investigate the attack. And the New Irish Republican Army and other Irish Republican groups have carried out multiple bombings, attempted bombings and shootings - mostly targeting police and military personnel in Northern Ireland.

Police had informed reporters that the bomber blew himself up just after 10:33 pm (21:33 GMT), at the Manchester arena that can host a crowd to 21,000 people.

The incident was the worst terror attack in Britain since the suicide bombings on London's transport network of July 2005 that killed 52 people and injured hundreds.

Britons go to the polls in just over a fortnight's time in an snap election called by Prime Minister Theresa May in a bid to strengthen her hand in negotiations for leaving the European Union. But authorities say there was a only single explosion and have not reported the discovery of any other devices.

More news: Judge makes huge decision on Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction

It advised USA citizens in the area to maintain security awareness.

"Nobody ever has a bad word to say about them, so we're all a bit anxious".

Neighbor Natalie Daley said she was frightened by a loud bang on Tuesday afternoon, then police yelling "get in your houses - get away from the windows!"

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act", the statement continues.

"I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care", she stated. "We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families and all those affected in your hearts and prayers".

As reaction came in from around the world, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told parliament in Canberra that the attack was "especially vile, especially criminal, especially horrific because it appears to have been deliberately directed at teenagers". "Surely there is no crime more reprehensible than the murder of children".

More news: Who is Henry Onyekuru? Arsenal's 19-year-old Nigerian transfer target

Up to 60 people caught up in the attack were reported to have been taken in by Holiday Inn hotels near the arena.