Manchester United's interest in Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak has intensified due to speculation around David De Gea's future, says a report.
The Red Devils are desperate to keep De Gea at the Theatre of Dreams, but know they will have a fight on their hands as long-time admirers Real Madrid, who nearly signed the keeper in 2015, remain heavily interested in the player, who is also said to have a lifelong dream of playing for Los Blancos.
Stoke City shot-stopper Jack Butland is also mooted as a possible option, but Oblak is regarded the No.1 target in their report as the Slovenian global has gone on to establish himself as one of the best in his position in Europe over the last few years. Chelsea are reportedly looking to tie down Courtois to a long term contract and will likely offer him a huge contract in order to fend off interest from Real Madrid.More news: Edouard named as French premier
The Argentine has filled in well for De Gea in recent games, showing himself to be a very capable backup and contender for first choice if De Gea returns to Spain.
De Gea very almost joined Real Madrid in the summer of 2015, but due to the paperwork not being submitted on time, the move fell through.
Mourinho will enter the transfer market for a big-name stopper if De Gea goes and he believes Romero should remain as a back-up choice.More news: Paytm raises USA $1.4 billion from SoftBank
The newspaper says that United officials have already sounded out Oblak about a potential switch to Old Trafford and the Slovenian global is keen to join if a deal can be agreed.
If a player like him, who has spemt his entire youth at Atletico, can move to their fiercest rivals, what is to stop Oblak from doing the same?
Should a move materalise, Oblak would not be alone in crossing the Spanish capital this summer; Alaves loanee Hernandez completed a medical ahead of his proposed switch earlier this month.More news: Arsenal players keen on Sanchez stay: Koscielny
Oblak has a £85m buyout clause in his contract.
- Jared Kushner's sister woos China's "golden visa" investors
- Haryana HBSE 10th Result 2017
- Oil down as market stays well supplied despite OPEC cuts
- No divided loyalties for Zidane's Juventus reunion
- Chinas Xi wants ties with South Korea to be on track
- Report Claims 10.5-inch iPad Pro Production Is Ramping Up For June
- Second wave of ransomware attack targeting out-of-date Windows machines under way
- Iran: New US Sanctions on Missile Work Show 'Ill Will'
- China Trade Deal: Commerce Secretary Ross Breaks Down What to Know
- Trump Welcomes Colombia's President to White House