The next day, North Korea's state news agency announced security services had detained Kim's husband, Kim Hak-song, "on suspicion of hostile acts against the state".
Kim Hak Song is now the tenth American to be detained by North Korea's current leader, Kim Jong-un.
"The relevant authority is now carrying out a detailed investigation into the crime of Kim Hak-song", the state-run news agency said.
Kim Mi Ok said her husband has been involved in agricultural development work at the university's experimental farm since 2014. In a possible sign of this thaw, media reports said Monday that the director-general of the North Korean Foreign Ministry's bureau that handles ties with the United States was headed to Europe for talks with unidentified former US government officials, part of unofficial "Track 2" meetings.
The new detentions come amidst growing tensions between the USA and North Korea. "When a USA citizen is reported to be detained in North Korea, we work with the Swedish embassy in Pyongyang" to try to secure their freedom.More news: Trump Tells Russians That Comey Firing Relieved Pressure
Read the whole story from AFP.
11am: South Korea's new liberal President Moon Jae-in was sworn in today and vowed to begin efforts to soothe tensions between America and North Korea.
North Korea says it has detained another USA citizen, accusing him of committing "hostile acts".
Sweden handles USA consular affairs in North Korea, including those of American detainees.
In a statement, the U.S. State Department said it knows about the latest detention. "However, I can say that the nuclear test will be conducted at the place and time as decided by our supreme leader, Kim Jong Un", Choe said.More news: United States signs worldwide declaration on climate change despite Trump's past statements
The family and colleagues of Song were shocked about his arrest, as they said that Song actually refers North Korea as his "own country".
"Life on campus and the teaching at PUST is continuing as normal for the Spring semester".
The university said that Kim Hak-song, like Tony Kim, was detained not because of his university work but for other reasons. Work is also in the process to create an organisation in United States government to deal exclusively with North Korean intelligence.
"I personally think when President Trump and Secretary of State Tillerson made the comments about being willing to negotiate, the focus indeed was and is on their nuclear and missile programs and the commitment that North Korea would have to comprehensive verifiable denuclearization".
- American tourist Otto Warmbier was sentenced in March 2016 to 15 years in prison with hard labor for subversion.More news: House oversight panel chairman Chaffetz to depart Congress June 30
BST: North Korea's ambassador to the United Kingdom warned that his nation is "not afraid" and will turn USA assets in the region to "ashes" if America launches a pre-emptive strike.
- Real Madrid beat Atletico to advance to 2017 UEFA Champions League final
- California Highway Patrol issues AMBER Alert for missing one year-old
- Kevin Durant, Warriors fans gear up for Western Conference Finals against Spurs
- Holmes, Stanley lead Players after 54 holes, Garcia four back
- Body dumped along Texas road after hearse stolen
- Players Championship victor prepares for military duty
- Greenpeace asks Alberta regulator to halt Kinder Morgan Canada IPO (KMI)
- Google Play Award winners announced, highlighting best app and games for 2017
- Penguins turn to Matt Murray for Game 4 of Eastern final
- Trump told Russians pressure off after firing 'nutjob' Comey