But Clement oversaw a recovery which took 26 points from 18 games and secured Swansea's safety on the penultimate Premier League weekend.
"Otherwise he is better staying here, being a key player and building something around moving this club forward".
After a turbulent season which threatened relegation Swansea midfielder Gylfi Sigurðsson insists he is "not trying to leave or wants to leave" the Swans when the summer transfer window opens in July.
Swansea City boss Paul Clement has pleaded with Gylfi Sigurdsson to remain at the Liberty Stadium despite interest from Everton and says the Icelandic worldwide should try and avoid getting into a similar situation he found himself in at Tottenham.More news: United Nations court orders Pakistan to halt execution of Indian 'spy'
The 27-year-old former Reading and 1899 Hoffenheim man has scored nine goals and provided 13 assists in 37 Premier League appearances for the Swans this season.
"Even though Barkley is entering the final year of his contract, Everton should still expect to get £25million for him". I am not necessarily talking about Gylfi, but do they want to be a smaller fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond?
The Iceland midfielder's excellent form this season has seen him linked with clubs including Everton, but Sigurdsson says he is happy at Swansea.
"I think it'll continue to be like that because whatever happens, happens".More news: Trump Sibling-in-Law Plays Princeling in China
I'm not trying to leave or want to leave. It's not like I want to go.
It has been reported that Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino wants to re-sign Sigurdsson as he believes that the Iceland worldwide midfielder is a better and cheaper alternative to Everton star Ross Barkley. A player of Sigurdsson's vast quality should be fighting near the top of the table rather than the bottom, which he presumably would have more chance of doing at Everton, and Clement knows the former Tottenham star has a decision to make. Other clubs including Everton and West Ham are said to be pursuing the player.More news: (NYSE:JPM) and Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM)
- G7 finance chiefs talk cyber security in Bari after attacks
- Macron win sends 'powerful message' to far-right, top Europe rabbi says
- Announced smartphones Moto Moto C and C Plus
- New Orleans crews begin removing statue of Confederate general
- Rinne's rare off-night gives Ducks life in Western Conference Final
- Saudi Arabia and Russian Federation signal oil-cuts extension into 2018
- FM to chair GST Council meet in Srinagar on Friday
- Prosecutors: Times Square driver wanted to 'kill them all'
- Putin offers transcript to prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets
- Trump Praises Macron for His 'Big Win' in France's Election