Range of little city cars, and here it is - the 2018 Volkswagen Up! GTi.
Officially a concept, but with a production version confirmed, the Up GTI uses a 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbo engine with 113bhp and 147lb ft.
VW's GTI on the way up!
Expected to go on sale in the United Kingdom in early 2018 - and costing around £14.5k - the Up! You should keep in mind that the vehicle weighs just 997kg. Available exclusively with a 6-speed manual gearbox, the Up should finally offer the sort of driving experience we have been hoping for.
It is driven by a 115PS turbocharged engine and although it weighs significantly more than the Mk1 Golf GTI at 997 kg it is also faster, accelerating from standstill to 62mph in 8.8 seconds with a top speed of 122mph.More news: Worldwide ransomware cyberattacks: What we know
Aesthetically, Volkswagen has delivered typically restrained styling, but with just enough GTI cues to justify the badge.
Volkswagen promises that this most powerful up! will maintain the GTI spirit and be immediately recognisable with typical GTI insignia including a red stripe across a honeycomb patterned radiator grille with GTI logo. The Up GTI rides 15mm lower on stiffened suspension, while at the back there is an extended rear spoiler and a red stripe along the base of the glass tailgate.More news: Robert E. Lee monument in New Orleans could come down overnight
Inside, Clark plaid fabric upholstery, GTI door sill trims, a sportier steering wheel and gearknob, red dashboard trim, a leather-wrapped handbrake lever, black headlining and red ambient lighting set the up! GTi feel pretty lively in the real world. And, yes, those comparisons to the Mk1 Golf GTI are rather irresistible, given the Up GTI's comparable size, modest 115hp output and sub-tonne kerbweight.More news: Senate Judiciary Committee also demands Comey memos, Trump tapes
- Special counsel in Russian Federation probe 'hurts country terribly'
- UN chief condemns NKorea missile test
- Trump Administration Upholds Iran Sanctions Waiver, Keeping Nuclear Deal Alive
- India confirm Champions Trophy participation
- Emma Stone plays matchmaker for Taylor swift
- The Witcher Saga: Popular series to be developed into a Netflix show
- ICC Champions Trophy: Raina, Gambhir dropped again as Rohit, Shami make cut
- Rex's Railroad Spike Teeth Were a Pulverizing Machine
- Ambulances diverted to North Mid Hospital following crippling cyber attack
- The House Oversight Committee is inviting Comey to testify