The tournament will also provide Pakistan a great chance to further consolidate their position in the top eight ODI sides as they look to qualify directly for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.
Ajinkya Rahane has been picked as the third opener, while Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin would double up as main spin bowlers as well as all rounders.
Gambhir's loyal fans also slammed the Indian board and a hashtag named #bringbackgambhir was soon trending on social micro-blogging site Twitter. The board had missed the squad announcement deadline of April 25 due to revenue sharing issues with the ICC.More news: The House Oversight Committee is inviting Comey to testify
Commenting on the chances of India retaining the Champions Trophy, the pacer said, "100 percent India can win the Champions Trophy". There are no surprises in the squad but a lot of youngsters who have performed well lately in the domestic season as well as IPL have not been included.
Putting an end to the controversial situation, the BCCI has confirmed India's participation in the all-important ICC Champions Trophy scheduled to be held from the 1st of June 2017 in England and Wales. "That shows he is fit and not like others who are getting rehabilitated after surgery", he said. He has been kept on standby along with Suresh Raina and Dinesh Karthik but in a short tournament like the Champions Trophy where a team will play five matches at the most, it is highly unlikely they will be required. He would have the support of MS Dhoni who will play in this tournament as a wicket-keeper batsman.
And Shami said he has worked hard to get back into captain Virat Kohli's squad. "Please convene a meeting of the selection committee for selecting the squad immediately. Best person to guide Virat, invaluable for the team".More news: Trump visit draws country singer Toby Keith to Saudi Arabia
New Zealand will play hosts England in Group A, as well as Australia and Bangladesh.
Speaking to IPL's official website after the match, Dhawan said he was happy to be playing in Champions Trophy and it was a reward for his IPL showing.
"Also, since I am coming after a long time speaking to former players is always valuable to me".More news: WikiLeaks source Chelsea Manning freed from prison
- Macron calls for 'historic reconstruction' of Europe
- Watch Mark Zuckerberg's reaction when he found out he got into Harvard
- Emma Stone plays matchmaker for Taylor swift
- UN chief condemns NKorea missile test
- Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ:ADSK): Institutional Investors Are Worried
- Trump Administration Upholds Iran Sanctions Waiver, Keeping Nuclear Deal Alive
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg posts video of Harvard acceptance in 2002
- New Video Shows Erdogan Watching Washington Brawl
- Worldwide cyber-attack "Wannacry"
- Special counsel in Russian Federation probe 'hurts country terribly'