The Wayne County (Mich.) Medical Examiner's Office ruled Cornell's death a suicide by hanging. Initial reports suggested that police were treating Cornell's death as a suicide. A full autopsy report has not yet been completed.
According to the Detroit Free Press, the singer's body was discovered after Cornell's wife called a family friend and asked them to check on Cornell. Woody said the friend forced open Cornell's hotel room door and found Cornell him dead on the bathroom floor.
A medical examiner determined that Cornell killed himself by hanging in a Detroit hotel room following a concert on Wednesday.More news: Public support for Trump's impeachment now outweighs opposition, a new poll finds
Cornell had also struggled with personal demons starting as a teenager, from depression to drug use to alcoholism, though in recent years he candidly spoke about his steady road to recovery. The band was on tour when Cornell died.
The 52-year-old Cornell was the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave.
The Rocklahoma statement adds, "We are speechless to hear about the unexpected passing of Chris Cornell last night". The band's music style is known as "grunge", which became popular in the 1990s with the success of Soundgarden and other bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana. The Soundgarden/ Temple of the Dog/ Audioslave frontman meant a world to the alternative rock and grunge music scene, with a voice that carried distinct individuality across decades and genres. Soundgarden, who split in acrimony in 1997, reunited and Cornell released a series of solo albums as well as a theme song for the James Bond film "Casino Royale".More news: Michael Owen states his prediction for Leicester v Tottenham
Elton John: "Shocked and saddened by the sudden death of Chris Cornell".
In 2001, he joined Audioslave which included former Rage Against the Machine members Tom Morello, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford. The band released their first single "Hunted Down" on Subpop in 1987.
Cornell led Soundgarden in a rendition of Slaves & Bulldozers incorporating lyrics to Led Zeppelin's In My Time of Dying.More news: Black leaders to Tulsa: Act on pledges of racial harmony
Come Friday/today over in Columbus, Ohio, the band was scheduled to headline the first day of the Rock On The Range festival, alongside Stone Sour, Korn, The Offspring, Bush, Sum 41, Thrice, and more.
- US Defense Chief 'Not Worried' About Trump's Disclosures To Russia
- Mike Huckabee calls Roger Ailes a 'genius'
- Turkey: Erdogan intensifies row with North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
- From Impeach to Wait And See, Dems Dance Around the 'I-Word'
- Statue of General Lee coming down in New Orleans on Friday
- Cyber attack hits China government, schools, but spread slows
- Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell dies at age 52
- 1 dead, several hurt when car strikes crowd at
- BUDGET 2017: Government to introduce levy for foreign workers
- American Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE:AMID) Dividend Growth in Spotlight