In total, the 50 Ipswich teams registered have raised nearly half of their $90,000 with donations now sitting at $37,610.
"The largest hope is the community coming out so that they can let the people know there is hope", one event organizer said.More news: Asia Drops As White House Turmoil Hits Risk Sentiment, Dollar Bruised
The event, known as a Relay For Life, is one of nine such cancer support events in CT over the weekend, according to a release.
Just as dark falls across the stadium, around 9 p.m., the luminaries and lanterns will be lighted - with each flame symbolizing the hope each survivor and cancer patient should have. Events begin at 5 p.m. and the survivor's walk will be at 6 p.m.More news: AMD announces Radeon Vega Frontier Edition flagship GPU
In addition to walking or running around the high school track relay-style, the afternoon and evening will feature activities and a number of special celebrations remembering all those who have battled cancer, as well as those who continue to fight the disease.
Teams of youth and adults representing churches and organizations from all over the county will have a wide variety of crafts, handmade items, baked goods and food available for sale for benefit of the cancer campaign.More news: Roger Ailes, former Fox News chairman, has died, network says
Shown at top, captains from 23 relay teams take a moment to be recognized. The money goes toward the American Cancer Society to fund research, education, programs and services. She stated, "Chambers County is a great community and we look forward to watching this relay grow". Numerous teams participate in fundraising in the months leading up to the event.
- Alibaba quarterly profits almost double to 10.65b yuan
- Ronaldo double puts Real on verge of title
- United target Griezmann: 'I'd only leave Atleti to play for NY Knicks'
- Legend of Olynyk is Born Via Game-7 Heroics
- Trump, Netanyahu spoke via phone amid talk of intelligence leak
- House Oversight Panel Invites Comey to Testify on Trump Interference
- EAM says ICJ order a "great relief", thanks attorney Salve
- US will tighten screws on North Korea, says Nikki Haley
- Gators WR Antonio Callaway cited for marijuana possession
- NHL Playoffs 2017: Schedule Guide for Sunday's Stanley Cup Round 2 Games