In total, the 50 Ipswich teams registered have raised nearly half of their $90,000 with donations now sitting at $37,610.
"The largest hope is the community coming out so that they can let the people know there is hope", one event organizer said.More news: How to get Google Assistant on your iPhone
The event, known as a Relay For Life, is one of nine such cancer support events in CT over the weekend, according to a release.
Just as dark falls across the stadium, around 9 p.m., the luminaries and lanterns will be lighted - with each flame symbolizing the hope each survivor and cancer patient should have. Events begin at 5 p.m. and the survivor's walk will be at 6 p.m.More news: With Macron win, European market rally pauses
In addition to walking or running around the high school track relay-style, the afternoon and evening will feature activities and a number of special celebrations remembering all those who have battled cancer, as well as those who continue to fight the disease.
Teams of youth and adults representing churches and organizations from all over the county will have a wide variety of crafts, handmade items, baked goods and food available for sale for benefit of the cancer campaign.More news: Legend of Olynyk is Born Via Game-7 Heroics
Shown at top, captains from 23 relay teams take a moment to be recognized. The money goes toward the American Cancer Society to fund research, education, programs and services. She stated, "Chambers County is a great community and we look forward to watching this relay grow". Numerous teams participate in fundraising in the months leading up to the event.
- Ronaldo double puts Real on verge of title
- The 11 candidates Trump is considering for Federal Bureau of Investigation director
- Congressman to call for impeachment of Donald Trump this afternoon
- Chelsea Manning Has Been Released From Prison
- Sheriff: At least 20 injured when tornado hits trailer park
- Paul Ryan on Russian Federation investigation: 'We need the facts'
- NHL Playoffs 2017: Schedule Guide for Sunday's Stanley Cup Round 2 Games
- United target Griezmann: 'I'd only leave Atleti to play for NY Knicks'
- AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition arrives in June
- Sean Hannity has message for Roger Ailes' enemies