Ailes, who reshaped television news over five decades in the TV and entertainment industry, was 77.
He said that members of the media "demean him even on the day of his death".
Ailes' family confirmed his death in a statement, but no cause or location of his death were reported. When he was passed over to run MSNBC, Ailes left and helped Murdoch form Fox News. Shortly after the news of his death broke, Ailes was being remembered in part for his visionary leadership when it came to "American politics and media", Fox News personality Sean Hannity tweeted Thursday morning. He has dramatically and forever changed the political and the media landscape singlehandedly for the better. The lawsuit-and Ailes' subsequent stepping down-triggered several other women to step forward. He continued to work as a political consultant to Republican candidates including Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.
Roger Ailes, president of FOX News, poses with his wife Elizabeth on the red carpet upon arrival at a salute to FOX News Channel's Brit Hume on January 8, 2009 in Washington, DC.More news: Times Square crash left one dead
Carlson said she was sacked for refusing Ailes' sexual advancements, and Tantaros alleged Fox News was "steeped in intimidation, indecency and misogyny". Fox then paid Carlson $20 million to settle the claim.
"Apart from the presidents he served, he was arguably the single most important figure in the creation of modern conservatism", David Greenberg, a Rutgers University political scientist, wrote in an essay for Politico previous year.
Ailes leaves behind a bittersweet legacy at Fox News.
Discussing Ailes' impact on politics and culture in the U.S., Sherman said, "One of Ailes' lasting legacies will be that for millions of Americans, news is now no longer viewed as a way to be informed about the world; it's a way of gathering information that advances your side".More news: Basquiat Painting Fetches Record $110.5M at New York Auction
Rick Folbaum, an anchor for CBS's local news station in Miami who previously worked for Fox News, reflected on Alies and the sexual harassment scandal that dominated the past year.
- Toby Keith to perform in Saudi Arabia, but just for men
- Trump, Netanyahu spoke via phone amid talk of intelligence leak
- Roger Ailes, former Fox News chief, dies at 77
- Rock legend Chris Cornell dies at age 52
- How to get Google Assistant on your iPhone
- Kane scores four and Son hits double as Tottenham rout Leicester
- Alibaba quarterly profits almost double to 10.65b yuan
- Congressman to call for impeachment of Donald Trump this afternoon
- Clinical KKR Beat Sunrisers by 7 Wickets to Enter Qualifier 2
- Baez hits grand slam, Bryant homers as Cubs beat Reds 9-5