Thousands of San Diegans commuted on two wheels in Thursday's annual Bike to Work Day, organized by the San Diego Association of Governments. "With increased interest in healthy, sustainable and economic transportation options, it's not surprising that, from 2000 to 2013, the number of bicycle commuters in the USA grew by more than 62 percent".
"In addition to the lack of education by some bicycle riders and people who drive cars is this idea that we need to get someplace quickly", said Scott Johnson with Bike Austin. "They do it because it's the most affordable way for them to get around, or they don't have a auto, or have other reasons why they don't drive".More news: President Trump, Sean Spicer are the 'stars' on a new 'SNL'
People everywhere were invited to plot a route from their home to work or join groups organized to ride together downtown. According to the League of American Bicyclists, 40 percent of all trips in the USA are under 2 miles, making biking a realistic form of transportation. May is also National Bike Month.
Bike to Work Day falls during Bike to Work Week, which falls in the middle of National Bike to Work Month. Across all 50 states, LAB recognizes 416 bicycle-friendly communities, including Savannah, which earned a bronze level status as a bicycle friendly community in 2013.More news: Shadow Brokers hacker group says more NSA leaks to come
Riders will be offered free breakfast and other giveaways. "More people get to work on their bikes here than anywhere else in the state".More news: Microsoft begins showing off new features for Windows 10 Creators Update 2
- Dayton signs Real ID bill, averting travel woes for 2018
- Senate chairman: Flynn has not responded to subpoena
- Trump threatens fired Federal Bureau of Investigation director with mention of "tapes"
- Three Girls wins praise for Rochdale abuse scandal portrayal
- Saudi Arabia 'Strongly Supports' Trump Policy on PA Peace, Iran Deterrence, ISIS
- Pemberton Music Festival has been canceled
- Erdogan: Turkey will not take part in Raqqa offensive
- Foot Locker, Inc. Q1 Earnings Miss The Mark, As Margins Fall
- Merkel: British EU immigration cap would have price
- Steve Harvey's Ex-Wife Sues Him For $60 Million