Thousands of San Diegans commuted on two wheels in Thursday's annual Bike to Work Day, organized by the San Diego Association of Governments. "With increased interest in healthy, sustainable and economic transportation options, it's not surprising that, from 2000 to 2013, the number of bicycle commuters in the USA grew by more than 62 percent".
"In addition to the lack of education by some bicycle riders and people who drive cars is this idea that we need to get someplace quickly", said Scott Johnson with Bike Austin. "They do it because it's the most affordable way for them to get around, or they don't have a auto, or have other reasons why they don't drive".More news: Ford brings Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to its 2016 fleet
People everywhere were invited to plot a route from their home to work or join groups organized to ride together downtown. According to the League of American Bicyclists, 40 percent of all trips in the USA are under 2 miles, making biking a realistic form of transportation. May is also National Bike Month.
Bike to Work Day falls during Bike to Work Week, which falls in the middle of National Bike to Work Month. Across all 50 states, LAB recognizes 416 bicycle-friendly communities, including Savannah, which earned a bronze level status as a bicycle friendly community in 2013.More news: Dry weather boosts planting, crop emergence
Riders will be offered free breakfast and other giveaways. "More people get to work on their bikes here than anywhere else in the state".More news: Merkel: British EU immigration cap would have price
- Shadow Brokers hacker group says more NSA leaks to come
- USA airplane laptop ban could be extended to Europe
- Check out this video preview of the 3 new Overwatch arenas
- NYC- Car crashes into Times Square pedestrians
- Senate chairman: Flynn has not responded to subpoena
- Pemberton Music Festival has been canceled
- President Trump, Sean Spicer are the 'stars' on a new 'SNL'
- England v South Africa: AB de Villiers says hosts have 'earned respect'
- Three Girls wins praise for Rochdale abuse scandal portrayal
- Trading Statistics of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)