Holders #India did not submit its squad for the one-day worldwide tournament in England and Wales by the April 25 deadline after BCCI failed to halt a new revenue model to be accepted by the global Cricket Council (ICC). While naming the squad, the chairman of selectors MSK Prasad stated that Ajinkya Rahane, who in the last 12 months has opened the innings six times each with returns 144 runs, is the other opening option for the Champions Trophy.
Gambhir's loyal fans also slammed the Indian board and a hashtag named #bringbackgambhir was soon trending on social micro-blogging site Twitter.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has been told by the Committee of Administrators (CoA) to get a mandate from its members and thereby empower its acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary to negotiate the financial terms with the International Cricket Council (ICC).
India recalled fast bowler Mohamed Shami to the squad that will defend the Champions Trophy title after suspending a battle over sharing out world cricket's revenues. They were there even in 2013 and will have an integral role to play at the top.More news: Macron calls for 'historic reconstruction' of Europe
"Ace off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin, who has skipped the IPL owing to a sports hernia injury, has been included in the squad". The Champions Trophy will commence from next month, June 1 in England and Whales.
Choosing between a third spinner and an extra batsman was expected to be the major topic of discussion as the other members were automatic selection.
"We considered Rishabh Pant, Kuldeep Yadav, Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik and Shardul Thakur".
Skipper Virat Kohli comes in at No 3 slot.More news: Amber Heard shows off form-fitting 'Aquaman' costume
Former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni retained his place in the squad amid whispers that the wicketkeeper-batsman's "finisher" reputation was on the wane.
Ahead of the main tournament, team India are scheduled to play two warm-up games against New Zealand (May 28) and Bangladesh (May 30).
Speaking to IPL's official website after the match, Dhawan said he was happy to be playing in Champions Trophy and it was a reward for his IPL showing.
India will play their Champions Trophy lung-opener against arch-rivals Pakistan on June 4.More news: Real Madrid looking to edge Barcelona out in title race
- Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ:ADSK): Institutional Investors Are Worried
- New Video Shows Erdogan Watching Washington Brawl
- Erdogan Supporters in Violent Clash with Protesters in Washington
- Senate Judiciary Committee also demands Comey memos, Trump tapes
- Bella Hadid And Her Leg Return To Cannes
- Trump Administration Upholds Iran Sanctions Waiver, Keeping Nuclear Deal Alive
- Emma, Noah top list of baby names
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg posts video of Harvard acceptance in 2002
- Trump visit draws country singer Toby Keith to Saudi Arabia
- Billboard Music Awards on RTL-CBS Entertainment