"De Ferran describes himself as an" extra pair of eyes" for Alonso during the Andretti Autosport driver's preparations for the Indianapolis 500. But Spain did at least feel like a step in the right direction, and with the emphasis on aerodynamics and chassis-build at next weekend's Monaco Grand Prix rather than the top speed that the Honda clearly lacks, McLaren should be in good nick for another positive weekend.
The McLaren driver, running a McLaren, Honda and Andretti-backed auto, is bidding to win motor racing's Triple Crown.
The Spaniard still needs to win the Indy 500 and the Le Mans 24 Hour to complete the feat. "My intention or first priority is to race here".More news: Surface Pro 4 successor leaks ahead of imminent unveiling
I usually encounter Alonso during F1 race weekends, when he can often be fidgety and impatient while dealing with media situations. In 2007. Alonso finished in second place at the United States Grand Prix at the same venue.
"It's incredible for us to have a driver of his stature, still actively racing in Formula One and missing their crown jewel event to come race ours, in some ways justifies what we all say about how much the Indy 500 means to the racing world, and it certainly attracts a whole new audience".
In an article in The Players' Tribune on Thursday, Alonso summarized his experience racing and how it led to his first shot at the Indy 500, detailing the differences between this and F1. He was going to win.More news: Sharapova agrees Birmingham deal
For the second successive day, Fernando Alonso finishes fourth on the Indy 500 practice timesheets. Drivers all over the world know this.
Thanks to the simulator testing, I felt like I knew my vehicle before I got in it last week at Indy. So I think that with time it will get a little bit more relaxed, and people will get a little bit more used to seeing me here, as if you are a normal racer here. And then you hope to learn by whatever caused the failure which I don't know yet.
So why have they allowed Alonso to miss the race in order to compete in a category that they now have little to do with? I can't wait for the pre-race ceremonies and the atmosphere.More news: Brazilian President Michel Temer, accused of bribery, says he will not resign
Alonso explained how despite his near-two decades of F1 experience, most of the IndyCar information, strategy, drivers and teams are new to him.
- Chaffetz wants Comey to appear before House committee
- Why Was James Comey Fired? President Trump Contradicts His Team
- Chaffetz sets hearing with Comey - but can't reach him
- Steel Partners Holdings LP (SPLP) Rating Lowered to C at TheStreet
- EU bars Nigerian airline from operating in its airspace
- LeBron, Cavs have reeling Celtics in must-win for Game 2
- Nottingham Forest confirm takeover by Greek consortium
- Joe Lieberman is front-runner to be next Federal Bureau of Investigation director
- Trump Wants Michael Flynn Back in White House
- London City Airport's flights to be controlled from 70 miles away