Brian Kilmeade, a Fox News host, said on the channel that Ailes "helped build Fox News Channel into the powerhouse it is today".
Roger Ailes, who transformed TV news by creating Fox News Channel, only to be ousted at the height of his reign for alleged sexual harassment, died Thursday, Fox News reported.
"I am profoundly sad and heartbroken to report that my husband, Roger Ailes, passed away this morning", she said. FILE - In this September 29, 2006 file photo, Fox News CEO Roger Ailes poses at Fox News in NY. The news was broken by aggregator Drudge Report, who obtained a statement from his wife Elizabeth.
Ailes, she said, "was a loving husband to me, to his son Zachary, and a loyal friend to many".More news: 10 injured after car mows down pedestrians in Times Square
A longtime confidant of media titan Rupert Murdoch who became a central figure in the conservative U.S. political movement, Ailes stood down at Fox in July previous year under the cloud of a sexual harassment lawsuit from former news host Gretchen Carlson - one of a string of such allegations against him. During a career that stretched over more than five decades, his work in entertainment, in politics, and in news affected the lives of many millions.
- Gabriel Sherman (@gabrielsherman) May 18, 2017Per 2nd family friend on cause of death: Ailes fell in Palm Beach and had a blood clot from the fall.
In a series of messages, Fox News host Sean Hannity tweeted tributes to his onetime boss, saying he was "like a second father".
Ailes began his television career in the early 1960s as a producer at The Mike Douglas Show in Cleveland, and went onto serve as media consultant for several Republican presidents, including Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.More news: Lieberman Among Candidates To Head FBI
By the time he stood down, however, Ailes had become a central figure in the American political landscape - both revered by fellow conservatives, and vilified by the political left.
In recent years, he began an informal adviser to then-candidate Donald Trump, even sitting in on debate prep for the candidate during his 2016 campaign.
That October, Ailes flipped the switch on Fox News Channel.
Mr Ailes dies leaving behind wife Elizabeth, who he married in 1998, and son Zac.More news: Celtics win NBA draft lottery, Lakers at No. 2 keep pick (copy)
- Celtics win NBA draft lottery; Hornets will pick 11th
- General Motors to stop selling cars in India by December
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Tense Spanish Grand Prix [w
- Ducks even Western Conference series with 5-3 win over Predators
- Buffett pans Wells Fargo's 'huge error,' admits missing on Google
- Sharapova not given wild-card entry for French Open
- With Spurs missing Kawhi Leonard, Warriors dismantle Spurs in Game 2
- Ousted Trump National Security Adviser at Center of Russia Probe
- ACLU Files to Get Comey's Memo on Trump Conversation
- West Ham join battle for Man City striker Kelechi Iheanacho