Roger Ailes, who built Fox News into a conservative media empire and was a consultant for several Republican presidents before being ousted in a sexual harassment scandal a year ago, died today at the age of 77.
"He wasn't flawless, but Roger Ailes was my friend & I loved him", the 41st president tweeted Thursday.
"Hemophilia contributed to his death and his manner of death was accidental", the medical examiner said in a statement.
At the news of Ailes' death, many outlets and commentators hailed Ailes' monumental achievements, while also noting his controversies and flaws.More news: Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) Chalking Up Volume in Session
The man responsible for turning Fox into a conservative media force resigned last summer amid allegations of sexual harassment. For Decades RA's has impacted American politics and media.
Shortly after Ailes' ouster, Fox News' parent company agreed to a $20 million settlement with lead accuser Gretchen Carlson and admitted that she "was not treated with the respect and dignity that she and all of our colleagues deserve".
The floodgates opened on Ailes as dozens of women came forward with their own allegations of sexual misconduct against him, including another former Fox host, star Megyn Kelly.
Matt Drudge of Drudge Report described him as an "American classic" in a tweet Thursday morning.
In the 2008 book, "Dark Genius: The Influential Career of Legendary Political Operative and Fox News Founder Roger Ailes", political scientist Kerwin Swint described Ailes as "the dominant media figure of our time", who "radically altered our political and communications landscape". "Many people out there would say he saved this country by starting the Fox News Channel", Earhardt said.More news: Arms for Nintendo Switch: Everything You Need to Know
"Rest in peace Roger Ailes, you made a difference in this nation, a very great difference".
Ailes was ousted from Fox in July after accusations of sexual harassment.
He developed into a titan of politics, the entertainment industry, and revolutionized broadcast news.
Murdoch ended the memo with prayers to Ailes' family: "At 21st Century Fox we will always be enormously grateful for the great business he built".
Elizabeth Tilson's son, Zachary is 17 years old, born on New Year's Day in 2000. Or that Ailes, who helped craft former President Richard Nixon's anger-stoked presidential campaign, informally advised Trump during his run for president. Even former President George H.W. Bush remembered Ailes' influence.More news: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - An Absolute Blast
- Lib Dems outline waste plan in election manifesto
- London City Airport's flights to be controlled from 70 miles away
- Tom Brady signs endorsement deal with Aston Martin, will pitch $211000 auto
- Trump scraps Masada visit after Israel nixes chopper landing
- LeBron, Cavs have reeling Celtics in must-win for Game 2
- Iran's re-engagement with the world at stake in Friday presidential vote
- Cavs' Thompson on Game 1 Incident: 'In the Past'
- Soundgarden and Audioslave rocker Chris Cornell takes his own, aged 52
- 'Crypto' parasite outbreaks on the rise at pools, waterparks in Alabama, US
- USA veteran kills one in Times Square vehicle crash, 22 hurt