Ford is updating a large number of 2016 model year cars equipped with SYNC 3 infotainment software, adding Android Auto and CarPlay to the vehicles with a free, over-the-air update via Wi-Fi, or using either USB or going through their dealer.
Android Auto is already available on all 2017 models, and this update brings the platform to around 800,000 additional vehicles. The company has announced that a software update will allow its entire fleet from that year to use both Android Auto and CarPlay. Android Auto is supported for smartphones running Android 5.0 and higher, while CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or later, updated to iOS 7.1 or higher.More news: Senate chairman: Flynn has not responded to subpoena
If you own one of these cars, and if you own an device that has Android 5.0 Lollipop or higher, you can get grab this update today. Alternatively, you can download the update by visiting the Ford Owner portal on your PC and install it on to a USB drive.
Ford auto owners can download a free, over-the-air update via Wi-Fi, use USB, or visit their dealer.More news: Erdogan Bodyguards Accused of Attacking DC Protesters Released
Retroactively offering this kind of thing to auto owners is a definite change in tone for auto makers, since they typically use these kinds of things as incentives to get people interested in vehicle model updates. Users can control Apple CarPlay through the in-vehicle display or via Siri voice control.
Though Ford has been issuing SYNC upgrades since 2009, this is the first time the company is offering an update via Wi-Fi. CarPlay and Android Auto are huge upgrades vs. most in-car software, offering navigation and entertainment options that follow you from your phone to your vehicle. A constant Wi-Fi connection isn't needed either, as the update will work in the background every time it has access until the update is complete.More news: Average US 30-year mortgage rate slips to 4.02 percent
- Severe Storms Including Tornadoes Possible Thursday
- Army Mutiny Over Pay Spreads Across Ivory Coast
- Two frontrunners in race to succeed Enda Kenny
- Saudi Arabia 'Strongly Supports' Trump Policy on PA Peace, Iran Deterrence, ISIS
- HUDCO makes stellar market debut, shares surge over 22%
- Pak counsel rubbishes legal fees rumours, adds India misled ICJ
- Warriors throttle Spurs to take 2-0 series lead
- Kawhi Leonard will play in Game 1 vs
- President Trump, Sean Spicer are the 'stars' on a new 'SNL'
- Roger Ailes, Former CEO Of Fox News Dies At 77