The increase is notable in Western countries where eating sushi and other raw or uncooked fish is more popular now.
A study by BMJ Case Reports cites a 32-year-old man who developed severe symptoms that immediately disappeared once the parasite in his stomach was surgically removed. A week later, he was in the hospital. This inner vision revealed a swollen intestinal membrane with a firmly attached parasite, its end penetrating the stomach.More news: South Korea warns on North's tests
During an interview, the man said he had recently eaten sushi. The examination report confirmed that the patient had anisakiasis, which is also referred as herring worm disease, commonly caused by the in-take of undercooked fish.
But, new estimates suggest there are several thousand cases now in Spain.
Another study in Spain found that almost 56% of blue whiting fish sold in five chain supermarkets showed infestation, Carmo said. These people can often extract the worm manually from their mouth or cough up the worm and prevent infection.More news: Stock for Investors Portfolio: Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited (TSM)
Anisakiasis is when the parasites invade the stomach wall or intestine of humans.
"It's easy to treat with an antiparasitic to kill the parasite", says Chattoo. Seafood should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit and fish kept for seven days should be frozen to -4 degrees Fahrenheit.
"Properly trained sushi chefs can detect anisakis larvae", Carmo said.More news: Latham leads from the front as Kiwis beat Bangladesh
- Ryan, Senators top Penguins in overtime
- Study Finds That 'Beauty Sleep' Is Actually a Real Thing
- West Shore remains an NDP stronghold
- Documentary about Chelsea Manning in works
- 'Bachelorette' reveal! Meet the men competing for Rachel Lindsay's heart
- Maine's US Senators Speak Out in Wake of Comey Memo
- Conte hints he will stay at Chelsea despite Inter interest
- Philippine economy grows 6.4% in Q1 2017
- Students Jeer US Education Secretary at University Ceremony in Florida
- Pak Will be Exposed at ICJ Today, Says Ujjwal Nikam