The Lancaster Mennonite school bus was taking students to school in East Lampeter Township on Wednesday morning when a sedan trying to pass two tractor-trailers and their escort vehicles hit the rear of one of the escort vehicles, the Lancaster County district attorney's office said.
PennDOT officials tell CBS21 News, preliminary reports show the driver of a white sedan was trying to pass another vehicle on the road but misjudged the distance, causing a three-car collision. Police are asking the public to call if they find a male driver in a light-colored, newer-model sedan that most likely has front bumper damage.
Fifteen children and their driver were taken to a hospital Wednesday morning after their school bus overturned in a four-vehicle crash in Pennslyvania. LNP newspaper reported that the driver of another vehicle was also injured. That child's condition was not available. Only three children had more serious injuries.More news: Family denies DNC staffer leaked information to WikiLeaks
Lancaster General Hospital spokesperson John Lines tells WPMT the situation could have been much worse. The escort vehicle sideswiped the bus, which then hit the tractor-trailer's load and tipped onto its side.
WHTM reported emergency responders removed one child who was trapped under the bus and airlifted to the hospital.
So far, 12 student, the bus driver and the driver of the escort vehicle were discharged from the hospital.More news: Traders Buy Large Volume of Put Options on Walt Disney (DIS)
If you have any information that could help investigators, contact the East Lampeter police at 717-291-4676.
An email describing the crash was sent to Lancaster Mennonite school parents, Hiller said.
This story is developing.More news: North Korea May Be Responsible For Global Cyberattack
- Home Depot raises outlook as housing market grows
- Manchester United reveals £3.8m net loss for third quarter
- Diego Simeone not giving up on Champions League semi-final
- Leonard latest basketball player to deal with ankle injury
- DHS declines to confirm Clarke appointment
- US teen's death after caffeine binge sparks concern over energy drinks
- Jones excited by WC draw
- Mavericks stuck with 9th pick in National Basketball Association draft lottery
- White House was warned Trump aide Flynn a blackmail risk
- LeBron James Subtly Trolls Boston Celtics With Wardrobe Selection