At a televised press conference, Economic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia said that the country remains one of the strongest performers among emerging economies in Asia.
"We are only second to China's 6.9 percent while India has not yeat released their data", Pernia said.
The first quarter growth was lower than the 6.8% expansion registered in the same period a year ago, the Philippine Statistics Authority said.More news: North Korea Could Be Linked To The WannaCry Cyberattack
Pernia said the slowdown could be explained by the absence of election spending, which boosted growth a year earlier. Cahyadi expects full-year growth to come in at 6.4 percent.
Manufacturing, trade, and other services were the main drivers of growth, the Philippine Statistics Office, an attached agency of the National Economic and Development Authority (Neda), said. Nevertheless, he said, the 6.4% exceeded the growth of neighboring countries, adding that the economy was still on track for the government's 2017 target of 6.5%-7.5% growth. All Shares declined by 0.87 percent or 40.61 points to 4,612.40. This was followed by the industry sector, which decelerated to 6.1 percent as compared with the 9.3 percent recorded in the first quarter of 2016.
"This was better than during the previous administration where government consumption, spending and public construction contracted by about 15 percent and 37 percent, respectively", Pernia said.More news: NHL Predators mince Ducks to take series lead
Exports of goods also grew by 22.3 percent, the fastest rate since the third quarter of 2010, Pernia noted.
"It is important to ensure that government spending for both consumption and investment remains within the fiscal program, which is critical to sustain the growth momentum", he said.More news: Students Jeer US Education Secretary at University Ceremony in Florida
- Japan princess's betrothal highlights male royal succession woes
- Conservatives warn of '£58bn black hole' in Labour spending plans
- Manchester United set to lose £38m for missing out on Champions League
- This is why I race, raves Hamilton
- US extends Iran nuke sanctions relief, adds other sanctions
- Amazon's Latest Alexa-Enabled Device Has a Screen
- Canelo dominates Chavez in one-sided bout as Golovkin watches on
- Watch the Destiny 2 gameplay premiere livestream right here
- Several Democratic Lawmakers Raise Trump Impeachment After Comey Memo
- ACLU files open records request for Comey memo