A powerful storm and tornado that struck Barron County Tuesday evening has claimed at least one life as well as leveling about 40 mobile homes at a mobile home park near Chetek.
The two tornado deaths from Tuesday's storms bring the nation's 2017 total up to 34 fatalities, more than 2016 in its entirety (18) and nearly as many as 2015 (36), according to Patrick Marsh, the warning coordination meteorologist at the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center.
Fire Chaplain Danny Ringer told reporters at the scene late Tuesday that one person was known to be dead from the twister.
Two persons were killed and dozens injured after tornadoes and severe storms swept through several USA states.More news: Fernando Alonso expected to slump even without clash
Other tornadoes in western Oklahoma and the eastern Texas Panhandle have downed power lines and utility poles, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.
"There was several trailers here that were gone, and not here anymore", said Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald.
"It's a mess", Fitzgerald said while requesting at least four more ambulances to the scene.
A strong area of rotation within a thunderstorm was detected on radar in Southeast Polk County, Wis., around 4:40 p.m. Monday and then moved into Barron County, the National Weather Service said.More news: Pope sends congratulations to new French leader
The timeline of the tornado event shows tornado warnings were issued early, giving as much as 30 to 56 minutes of lead-time for residents to take cover.
At least one child is among the injured.
The south side of Elk City was hit hardest by one storm, said Mayor Bill Helton.
A spokesperson for the Oklahoma Red Cross says they will send an emergency response vehicle and supplies on Wednesday. We have several homes that were completely destroyed. The National Weather Service said spotters reported a tornado four miles northwest of Chetek at 5:35 p.m., and another five miles west-southwest of Weyerhaeuser at 6:15 p.m. Pritchard said six homes were either damaged or destroyed in Rusk County and officials were checking to see if there were injuries.More news: Trump's mishandling of intelligence secrets could affect cooperation over N. Korea: congressman
Elk City, Oklahoma bore the brunt of the damage, with dozens of homes visibly destroyed after a tornado ripped through the small city, an NBC affiliate station reported.
- Trump did not pass secrets to Russia - Putin
- Swedish football league cancels game over match fixing fears
- Real Madrid cruise past Tony Adams' Granada to cut the gap
- Oil Drops On Rising US Crude Inventory, Defies Expected Supply Cut Extension
- Chelsea Manning says she's 'figuring out' future
- "No Politician in History" Has Been Treated Worse
- After WannaCry, the Shadow Brokers promise to unleash more NSA exploits soon
- 54% of Americans Think President Trump Firing James Comey Was Inappropriate
- No laptop ban extension on Europe-US flights - for now
- French Jews 'relieved' Macron won, anxious over Le Pen's gains