Washington police eventually sent reinforcements and restored order, but emergency services said nine people were taken to the hospital, one of them in critical condition.
On the same day that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited President Trump at the White House, protesters were gathered at the Turkish Embassy in Washington, D.C.
The attack happened on American soil-not the grounds of the Turkish Embassy.
Later, speaking to reporters at the Turkish embassy, Erdogan underlined Turkey's concerns about the YPG, which Ankara regards as an extension of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group fighting a decades-old insurgency in southeast Turkey. Police spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said two people were arrested. The department announced Wednesday it's seeking to identify the assailants. Also in the video, you can see USA police officers beating an armed bodyguard attacking the Kurd's. One group appeared to charge past the police and across the street, where they beat the protesters as police rushed to intervene.More news: Freeman hurt; Braves ride big inning to win over Blue Jays
"Erdogan's administration, however, considers the Syrian Kurds terrorists due to their ties to Turkish Kurds who have been waging an insurgency to create an independent state for the past three decades".
The protest on Tuesday took place outside the ambassador's residence.
"All of the sudden they just ran towards us", Yazidi Kurd demonstrator Lucy Usoyan told ABC.
A separate group waving Turkish flags arrived and started chanting slogans in support of Mr. Erdogan, the VOA reported.More news: Labour pledging £48bn extra spending to create 'fairer society for the many'
"Someone was beating me in the head nonstop, and I thought, 'OK, I'm on the ground already, what is the goal to beat me", she added.
"We are protesting (Erdogan's) policies in Turkey, in Syria and in Iraq", said Flint Arthur of Baltimore, Maryland.
A similar incident occurred during Erdogan's visit to Washington a year ago, in which Erdogan guards beat Turkish journalists protesting for their rights. Some election monitors charged that there were voting irregularities.More news: Comey memo says Trump asked him to drop Flynn probe
- Washington, DC Mayor Condemns Assaults by Erdogan's Bodyguards
- Flynn blocked military move Turkey opposed
- Arsene Wenger refuses to criticise West Ham over performance against Liverpool
- At least one killed as tornado tears though dozens of Oklahoma homes
- Jeremy Corbyn Criticizes Trump for Escalating International Conflicts
- Turley: Comey Memo Is Not Proof Needed to Impeach Trump
- Donald Trump forbids James Comey from leaking to media in veiled tweet
- Stormy start to UP session; paper balls hurled at podium
- US Senate intel panel invites James Comey to testify in Public
- 'Subpoena Pen Ready': GOP's Chaffetz Demands Documents on Trump, Comey