The tornado swept into the mobile home park in western Wisconsin on Tuesday, as a storm system also pounded parts of at least seven states from Texas to near the Canadian border with heavy rain, high winds and hail.
Oklahoma Baptist Relief teams are helping victims of the Elk City tornado this week. But Elk City Fire Chaplain Danny Ringer told reporters at the scene late Tuesday that one person was known dead from the twister.
Elk City school officials have canceled classes for Wednesday.More news: G7 finance chiefs talk cyber security in wake of attacks
A tornado tore through western Oklahoma on Tuesday evening, destroying or damaging dozens of homes and killing at least one person, media reported. Shards of glass were flying at them like bullets, Tyson told the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram.
The National Weather Service reported a tornado touchdown in the area just after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Mayor Jeff Martin in nearby Chetek (sheh-TEK') says turkeys can be seen wandering in the damage.
Several tornado warnings were issued as severe thunderstorms moved east across western Wisconsin and northern Wisconsin as the night went on. One confirmed tornado was reported near a small town southeast of Dodge City, although there were no immediate reports of damage.More news: Chris Cornell dead at age 52
"My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the tornado in Elk City tonight", Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin said on Twitter. He says that in some cases, the responders left their own storm-damaged homes to help search the mobile home park.
In Iowa, the storms damaged homes and other buildings and knocked down trees, limbs and power poles, leaving thousands of people without power.
Zimmerman says one person suffered minor injuries and that the tiny community of Pawnee Rock is "very fortunate" that the twister struck a largely rural area.More news: Saudi Arabia counting down the seconds until Trump arrives
ELK CITY, Okla. (AP) - Residents of an Oklahoma subdivision and a Wisconsin trailer park that were leveled by deadly tornadoes sifted through what remained of their homes and possessions Wednesday, even as forecasters warned of another round of powerful storms on the horizon. He estimates the park had around 50 homes. Mikles' pickup was reportedly tossed several hundred feet by the tornado.
- SNL Host Melissa McCarthy Plays a Sean Spicer in Crisis Mode
- South Korea's Moon says 'high possibility' of conflict with North
- S. Korea president warns high chance of clashes with North
- Fifth GoT spin-off in the works
- SL backs India's concern over Kashmir in China's connectivity project
- At least 1 dead, dozens injured after tornado hits northwestern Wisconsin
- Following ransomware attack, Microsoft urges governments to 'wake up'
- Paul Merson states his prediction for Southampton v Man United
- HTC Vive reveals standalone VR headset
- Google Home will finally call Australia home