"Take the time to talk with your children about the dangers of caffeinated drinks".
Davis Allen Cripe died on April 26 from a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia", the Richland County coroner's office in the southern USA state wrote in a statement. The three drinks led to a caffeine-induced cardiac event, and he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.
Reports say within two hours of Davis Allen Cripe's death he had an energy drink, a large diet Mountain Dew and a cafe latte from McDonald's.More news: Rohit, Shami, Ashwin Returns For Champion Trophy, No Place For Gambhir
But how can caffeine, a key component in many common beverages, turn deadly?
A coffee, a caffeinated drink and an energy soda proved a deadly combination for a SC teenager who died within two hours of consuming them, triggering warnings about the risks of caffeine overdose. It can depend on the amount consumed and the person's health history. Davis' father believes that every family should be having a conversation about the effects of energy drinks.
"It can cause sleeping problems", she said. Also, no other drugs or alcohol were found in his system.More news: Fox News' Guilfoyle up for White House press secretary job
"Overdosing with caffeine causes excitement, agitation and people experience tachycardia, heart palpitations and often require emergency hospital treatment", the report states.
Excessive caffeine intake has been tied to increased risk of elevated blood pressure in teenagers which may further trigger cardiac events like arrhythmia - abnormal heart rhythm where the heart is not able to pump enough blood to the body.
Holding a news conference was hard for Davis' family, Watts said, but the story of a teen who died after legally purchasing drinks containing a drug many believe is safe is "a conversation worth having".More news: Putin says he can prove Trump did not pass Russian Federation secrets
They reported two deaths had been associated with these types of products. The AAPCC also reported 3,023 single exposures to caffeine as a street drug, with 17 major complications and one death.
- Pablo Zabaleta relives favourite Manchester City moments after final home game
- Mark Cuban admits to tanking
- IPL 2017: MI vs RPS - Turning Point - Dhoni Finishes Off in Style
- Corrected - Trump to visit Jewish, Christian holy sites in Jerusalem
- South Korea's new president: High possibility of military clashes with North Korea
- Warriors trounce Leonard-less Spurs
- Texas Bill Could Keep Transgender Kids Out of High School Sports
- Ainge's patience pays off with Celtics' draft lottery win
- Corning Inc. (GLW) hit his 1-Year Low price on 05/19/16
- Irish PM Enda Kenny to step down, replacement unclear