"Take the time to talk with your children about the dangers of caffeinated drinks".
Davis Allen Cripe died on April 26 from a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia", the Richland County coroner's office in the southern USA state wrote in a statement. The three drinks led to a caffeine-induced cardiac event, and he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.
Reports say within two hours of Davis Allen Cripe's death he had an energy drink, a large diet Mountain Dew and a cafe latte from McDonald's.More news: Google to unveil products at I/O 2017
But how can caffeine, a key component in many common beverages, turn deadly?
A coffee, a caffeinated drink and an energy soda proved a deadly combination for a SC teenager who died within two hours of consuming them, triggering warnings about the risks of caffeine overdose. It can depend on the amount consumed and the person's health history. Davis' father believes that every family should be having a conversation about the effects of energy drinks.
"It can cause sleeping problems", she said. Also, no other drugs or alcohol were found in his system.More news: Warriors trounce Leonard-less Spurs
"Overdosing with caffeine causes excitement, agitation and people experience tachycardia, heart palpitations and often require emergency hospital treatment", the report states.
Excessive caffeine intake has been tied to increased risk of elevated blood pressure in teenagers which may further trigger cardiac events like arrhythmia - abnormal heart rhythm where the heart is not able to pump enough blood to the body.
Holding a news conference was hard for Davis' family, Watts said, but the story of a teen who died after legally purchasing drinks containing a drug many believe is safe is "a conversation worth having".More news: IPL 2017: MI vs RPS - Turning Point - Dhoni Finishes Off in Style
They reported two deaths had been associated with these types of products. The AAPCC also reported 3,023 single exposures to caffeine as a street drug, with 17 major complications and one death.
- 'We Need Facts': Ryan Urges Caution On Trump Revelations
- Futurama Returns as New Mobile Game Worlds of Tomorrow
- Oil price climbs as Opec offers early consensus on renewed deal
- Ford to cut 1400 salaried jobs in North America, Asia
- Republican Amash raises idea of impeachment
- Texas Bill Could Keep Transgender Kids Out of High School Sports
- Keith Urban's Predators National Anthem Is One of His 'Proudest Moments'
- Corrected - Trump to visit Jewish, Christian holy sites in Jerusalem
- Fox News' Guilfoyle up for White House press secretary job
- Corning Inc. (GLW) hit his 1-Year Low price on 05/19/16