According to court records, Darta Lee, 18, is in custody on preliminary charges of home invasion and armed robbery.
The players - offensive linemen Darta Lee and Howard Watkins and athlete Zarrian Holcombe - allegedly attempted to rob a university dormitory early Wednesday morning. They will be formally arraigned Thursday at 1:30 p.m.More news: WR Floyd agrees to sign with hometown Vikings
Police say the three entered an apartment early Wednesday with masks on.
"It's not a very smart thing to do", Champaign Police Department Deputy Chief Troy Daniels said, according to FoxIllinois.com, "to go into someone's house armed, and even with a fake gun with masks on".
The players left with an undisclosed amount of money. After discussions with the two of them there and at the police station, they were each taken to the county jail and booked in between 10 and 11 a.m.More news: Three Things That Need to Change for Boston at Home
Officers were called to Bromley Hall around 3:30 a.m.
Lee played in a total of 6 games as a true-freshman, including 2 starts on the offensive line. He notes that two of the players involved, Lee and Holcombe, had already been suspended from the team before the arrest.
IL football coach Lovie Smith hasn't had the easiest beginning to his tenure as head coach for the Fighting Illini. "We continue to gather information and will take appropriate steps based upon what we learn".More news: Before the ax, Comey was pushing Trump-Russia probe harder
Champaign police have confirmed to the Tribune that the three were arrested.
- US Rep. Diana DeGette calls Comey's firing "latest shenanigan" by Donald Trump
- Man Wanted In Crash That Critically Injured FHP Trooper Surrenders To Authorities
- Boeing halts test flights of new plane over engine issue
- Middlesbrough relegated after 3-0 defeat at Chelsea
- Rohit, Shami included in India's Champions Trophy squad
- United offered the 'Nuggets Guy' a free flight
- Stock Tracker: Checking on Shares of American Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE:AMID)
- Netanyahu trashes Hamas' new roadmap
- Josh Gordon denied reinstatement by NFL
- Manchester United 'won't comment' on Paul Pogba transfer investigation reports