On Wednesday, Huckabee insisted that President Trump dismissed Comey on the recommendations of both Attorney General Jeff Sessions and his new deputy, Rod Rosenstein. "The next day, the Deputy Attorney General sent his written recommendation to the Attorney General and the Attorney General sent his written recommendation to the President".
Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked on ABC's "Good Morning America" about Trump's claim in a letter to Comey notifying him of his termination that the then-FBI director assured him "on three separate occasions" that he was not under investigation. You want to create this false narrative.
Trump told Holt that the first time he discussed that with Comey was at a January dinner Comey asked for because, Trump explained, Comey wanted to hang on to his Federal Bureau of Investigation job.More news: Experience the difference between Juventus and Monaco
During the daily White House press briefing Thursday, CBS News' Major Garrett asked Sanders why she thought it was proper for Trump to have asked Comey whether he was under investigation given that the Justice Department's own protocols advise against the President communicating with the FBI about anything that might involve him.
She also says "I am not aware" of reports he threatened to resign over the way the Comey dismissal was attributed in part to the memo he wrote.
"We don't think it's necessary".More news: Oil price tumbles on fears of oversupply
"I'm sure that there are some people that are disappointed", she said.
Sanders responded, "I don't see that as a conflict of interest and neither do the many legal scholars and others that have been commenting on it for the last hour". It was a quick-moving process.
Mr Comey was leading the investigation of alleged Russian hacking of the USA election, and of claimed ties between Trump associates and the Kremlin.More news: Rate of fentanyl-related opioid deaths continues to rise
"I have heard that directly from him that information was relayed directly to him from Director Comey", said Sanders, who declined to provide further details. And Mr Spicer? Well, as The Washington Post reported, he tried to avoid journalists by standing among some bushes of the White House lawns in the dark.
- MannKind Corporation (MNKD) Reviewed By Analysts
- Lakers to meet with, interview De'Aaron Fox
- White House says Trump did not prompt DOJ review of Comey
- HSE issue public health statement following gorse fires in Donegal
- Everton skipper Jagielka uncertain about his future at club
- Former Bush advisor Fagen says Comey's firing 'stinks to high heaven'
- Finally, 'talaaq' between Arbaaz Khan, Malaika Arora
- BMW 5 Series likely to be launched in India at June-end
- Democrats want answers after Trump gives Comey the ax
- France's election reveals a new political divide