"The unemployment rate is even lower than expected".
The U.S. central bank cited the slow-down in its decision Wednesday to leave its influential interest rate unchanged.
However, that helped cause a tumble during March that offset gains that became amplified due to snowstorms across the Northeast and Midwest that left growth in employment during March at approximately 50% of the earlier rates.
According to data released by the Labour Department on Friday, the total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 211,000 in April, beyond market expectation of 185,000.More news: Thomas scores 53 as Celtics take 2-0 lead
Average hourly wage growth dropped to 2.5% in April from 2.6% the previous month. While the BLS initially reported a paltry gain of 98,000 jobs, the figure has now been revised downward to 79,000.
The employment-to-population ratio rose one-tenth of percentage point to a fresh eight-year high of 60.2 per cent. "I'm frankly surprised that this late into an expansion the economy is still adding jobs well above the steady-state pace", Jason Furman, chief economic adviser during the Obama administration, told The New York Times.
The employment numbers are a key component in the calculus used by the US Federal Reserve in its interest rate decisions. The largest measure of underemployment - known as the "U-6 rate - hit 8.6%".
The report adds to evidence that economic growth is rebounding in the current April-June quarter, with some economists forecasting that it could top a 3 percent annual rate, compared with the first quarter's 0.7 percent rate.More news: 2nd of 4 Confederate monuments removed
Growth and employment prospects in the United States have been much better than in Europe, the other major advanced economic bloc.
The data point to a stronger growth by the US economy in the second quarter after a slow first quarter, the Los Angeles Times said Friday.
A closer look at the data showed a loss of 50,500 positions in the more-desirable private-sector category, while the public sector added 35,200 jobs.
Mining added 8,800 jobs in April, with 6,700 of them coming from support activities.More news: How Will Kate Spade Change Now That Coach Owns It?
April job gains were fairly broad based with strong hiring in professional and business services, health care and leisure and hospitality.
- Penguins Put Capitals on Brink
- West Bromwich Albion issue ticket warning to fans ahead of Chelsea match
- Cameraman's foot run over by Corbyn auto
- 'Complacent, Self-Absorbed and Clueless' - Critics Pan New Amy Schumer Film
- Democrats want answers after Trump gives Comey the ax
- Mahrez wants out of Leicester; Arsenal and Tottenham lead the chase
- Despite landslide victory, Macron has his work cut out for him
- BMW 5 Series likely to be launched in India at June-end
- Despite protests, DeVos delivering Bethune-Cookman address
- Johnson confident this Players Championship will be different