The Stars will have exclusive negotiating rights with Bishop until July 1, when he'll become an unrestricted free agent. "This offers us the opportunity to negotiate with him before the free agency period begins".
The 30-year-old posted a 18-15-5 record with a 2.54 goals-against average and a.910 save percentage with a single shutout over 39 games split between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Kings in 2016-17.
The Stars have made no secret that they would like to shore up their goaltending, and Bishop would do that. He and Jeff Carter were the only Kings to score 20 or more goals this past season, which partly explained why the team missed the playoffs for the second time in three years.More news: ACC has seven selected in second, third rounds of NFL Draft
He backstopped the Lightning to the 2015 Stanley Cup finals, where they lost to the Chicago Blackhawks.
Bishop (6-7, 216) has battled groin injuries at times and is looking for a big contract, one of the reasons Tampa Bay traded him to the Kings this season.
But it won't be cheap to sign Bishop.More news: Playoffs Round 1 Series Recap: Utah Jazz Eliminate the LA Clippers
The Stars, with more than $10 million committed to Niemi and Lehtonen in 2017-18, will need to do some salary cap restructuring to lock up Bishop long term, but the deal seems to be a ideal fit for both sides.
On the business side of things, if they can come to terms with Bishop, then that means at least one of Kari Lehtonen or Antti Niemi will be filing change of address forms in the coming months, as they won't be returning to the Dallas line-up. He finished second in the Vezina voting in 2016 after getting selected for the All-Star Game.
Pearson had a career-high 24 goals and 20 assists for the Kings last season, just his second full National Hockey League campaign. It also sends the same message to the players already signed by Dallas for next season, including Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn, the young core guys that the Stars want to win with now.More news: Syrian media claim Israeli aircraft bombed Damascus airport
This Topic is Missing Your Voice..
- The local election results summed up in 6 handy graphics
- Homes evacuated, military deployed after flooding in Canada
- Toronto Raptors vs. Milwaukee Bucks Odds, Analysis, NBA Betting Pick
- A Health Care Bill By Trump, For Trump
- Warriors start fast, easily handle Jazz in Game 1 win
- Warriors stars Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry love the word kerfuffle
- Trump meets Abbas, predicts 'very good chance' of peace with Israel
- Orioles hit 3 HRs in 1st inning and beat Nationals 6-4
- Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho considering weakened team for Arsenal trip
- Penn State students face hundreds of charges in hazing death